halftrackinfo

pictures of your halftrack => members tracks => Topic started by: Brett V on December 24, 2014, 01:28:55 AM

Title: New owner of M16 Halftrack
Post by: Brett V on December 24, 2014, 01:28:55 AM
Hi, I am new to this forum and new to military vehicles. I purchased a M16 Halftrack a week ago that has been sitting for the last 42 years in N. East Ohio. Fairly complete except rear amour is missing. Was used on a small tree farm and was parked when the clutch went out. I am hoping i can repair the track for driving around the yard, at least half the guides are in bad shape,and 6 of the bogies are starting to separate and will need to be replaced. I seen a guy on this forum welded chain to the outsides of the tracks (similar to EEL tracks for a skid steer) I think I will do the same as a precaution. Any other information you guys can give me about this halftrack would be greatly appreciated as I really don't know a whole lot about them. The hood has "Josephine" painted on both sides, if you do a google search "half track named Josephine" it brings up something from 2004 about the 419th Ground Artillery and that the half track was named after some lieutenants wife, but it could all be a coincidence. 
Title: Re: New owner of M16 Halftrack
Post by: steve-0 on December 24, 2014, 02:23:21 AM
those are great pics   ;D ;D ;D

and that is an interesting data plate.
your halftrack has additions that where added for the korean war but your data plate is unusual.
usually the m3 was converted to the m16A1 and the m16 was converted to the m16A2 but your data plate does't specify.
 it does have the serial number that others here will give you info on.
the additions for the korean war are the plate with footman loops above the fuel tank holder on the passenger side.. as shown in the pic



Title: Re: New owner of M16 Halftrack
Post by: superjeep on December 24, 2014, 05:55:11 AM
Brett,
Congratulations! Looks like it has lots of potential. There should also be the model and serial number stamped on the frame. It will be on the drivers side just behind the front wheel on the side of the frame.
When you do get it running be very careful driving it around. You do not have any track armor on it and if the drivers side track breaks it could do some serious damage to you. I read a story about a guy driving his Halftrack that broke a track. It hit him and launched him forward with such force he bent the steering column and windshield frame. That's 500 pounds of rubber and steel flinging around.
Title: Re: New owner of M16 Halftrack
Post by: Lordsandy on December 24, 2014, 07:06:03 AM
They also added the 3 shovel holder and angle on the step to lock the handle in for the Korean War.
I'm not sure why as it doesn't seem to work as well but the pick holder was removed and replaced with two footman loops welded to a small plate as well?
I have a Korean War M16A1 I'm working on. Best of luck with your project!

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/3242/medium/image734.jpg)
Title: Re: New owner of M16 Halftrack
Post by: col.halftrack on December 24, 2014, 08:39:56 AM
 Brett,
 Welcome to this site. You indeed have a unusual data plate and it is unfortunately missing the most important number for a White built halftrack. The --ordnance number-- it has been omitted on the field made plate. The serial number should be stamped in the drivers side frame behind the left front wheel. This will hopefully match your 276646 on the data plate. If it does than we know this. It was built by White around mid 1943. Since the data plate is a replacement and the modifications mentioned by others indicate it was rebuilt in the early fifties it is possible the four digit ordnance number (probably between 1050 & 1400) will be stamped into the top of the front bumper or on the rh bogie casting(see other threads for pics of others).
 That said Surviving halftracks 276576 was built as a M13 (I am restoring this one) Ord # 1040 built around May 1943. The next one I have record of is 276663 which was noted as being scrapped in Pa. White worked by ordnance number so the serial numbers only get us in the ballpark.
 email me with any additional info.  I will send you a parts list and  help where I can.
Kevin
Title: Re: New owner of M16 Halftrack
Post by: Darth_Kitten on December 24, 2014, 10:12:49 AM
Looks like a good start. Enjoy!
Title: Re: New owner of M16 Halftrack
Post by: Brett V on December 24, 2014, 01:35:59 PM
Here are some more pics. I did notice some numbers on the drivers side hood, gonna have to take paint layer off carefully. I looked for serial number on the frame but must not be looking in right spot. Thanks for the info everyone, going to go back outside and finish removing the head, I will keep updated with photos as I go along.   
Title: Re: New owner of M16 Halftrack
Post by: gab on December 26, 2014, 08:52:29 AM
Welcome to another kind of sickness (Harrys), very nice start, front end is unusually complete, good luck.  This is a great site for help and parts.      Greg
Title: Re: New owner of M16 Halftrack
Post by: andy on December 26, 2014, 10:17:11 AM
My white serial is 272422, an is an m4a1. Going by that info his would be built after mine. All m4a1s were late '43. My ord number was stamped on my right rear bogie support, and is 5619
Title: Re: New owner of M16 Halftrack
Post by: WayOffTrack on December 26, 2014, 10:21:16 AM
Maybe those odd data plates like this and others seen were made in Salina?
Title: Re: New owner of M16 Halftrack
Post by: Brett V on December 26, 2014, 07:03:41 PM
Pulled the head off today, everything came apart surprisingly easy. Started to take manifold nuts off, sure is nice they used brass nuts. Pretty crusty underneath.(liquid in cyl is diesel fuel)
Title: Re: New owner of M16 Halftrack
Post by: spec4don on December 26, 2014, 08:02:51 PM
Hi Brett, one thing I noticed in the first pictures is it looks like the frame is bent. You'll want string line it and check it before you get a lot of parts back on it. Might be the picture but it can cause problems later on when you put the armor on.

Good Luck Don G.
Title: Re: New owner of M16 Halftrack
Post by: Brett V on December 26, 2014, 09:56:13 PM
Frame is not bent, pics are deceiving bc of flat tires and where its sitting.

Anybody got a price on a good used/rebuilt motor?
Title: Re: New owner of M16 Halftrack
Post by: scotty71 on December 27, 2014, 12:12:15 AM
You would be surprised how well engines can be rebuilt with what you have. There are still parts available to replace the majority of items you may need. You may want to locate either another wreck with a motor in better condition, or buy a second hand one if you can find one. There is also another option by purchasing from Europe a fully overhauled and ready to install 160ax engine.

There used to be two sellers of these engines. BAIV seems to have sold out and the other seller Sindorf Trading in Holland still has them available but I think that they won't last for too much longer.

http://www.sindorf.nl/collectors/white-160ax-hercules-engines-nos/108/103/

If you think that your engine is too far gone, have a look at this thread on G503 about restoring Cadillac engines for an M5A1 Stuart tank and they were in the same condition that yours is, but you should see them now!!!!

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=232831

Title: Re: New owner of M16 Halftrack
Post by: scotty71 on December 27, 2014, 04:23:34 PM
Just an update. BAIV do still have a few engines left but only a few for 4550 euro ($5550 US), but you will need to include the cost of shipping as well.

http://www.baiv.nl/Parts/Halftrack_White_Engine/Halftrack_White_Engine.html
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal