halftrackinfo

pictures of your halftrack => members tracks => Topic started by: johne504 on February 08, 2015, 05:22:38 PM

Title: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on February 08, 2015, 05:22:38 PM
I found this track in a farmers junk yard about 3 weeks ago.  I can't believe they are still out there in this condition.. been sitting for 30-40 years, had a stuck valve in engine, tranny was rusted up, along with steering box.  but after working the valve loose, and replacing the tranny with a good used one, its back on the road now.  waiting for a bunch of parts to put her back together.  not going to do a frame off on this one, just make it a runner for now.  john
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on February 08, 2015, 05:30:10 PM
a couple more pictures, cause I know you guys love photos, as I do!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin. sorry all images over 3000  kb where deleted automatically
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: woodwalker on February 08, 2015, 06:14:18 PM
Very nice find there.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: Tapper02 on February 08, 2015, 06:29:55 PM
Wow John…that is amazing.  The rear floor is still there and it doesn't look too butchered.  Looks like the rancher did a good job of converting the roller to a winch without jacking up the roller brackets.  Your good fortune!

One other thing I find interesting is the stark difference in color between the outdoor pics and the indoor pics.  Outdoors it looks like it was painted yellow, but indoors it is OD again.

-Tom
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on February 08, 2015, 08:07:59 PM
Tom, yes different colors are due to pressure washing all the oxidization off.  The farmer, or whoever took the rear armor off did a great job, actually took the time to remove all the bolts instead of cutting the angle piece off... and other parts.  I still can't believe it still has all the rear tailights, socket, bumpers, etc on it and in good shape... I have already dumped over 10k into it, but it will now have all the rear armor, tires, paint, transmission replaced, steering box replaced. I will post some more pictures in the upcoming weeks.  This track will probably be a record time motorpool resto the way its going...!!!! I have alread took it to the local gas station and put 8 miles on it.. after replacing the water pump, and radiator hoses, it now has coolant in it and does not leak any water.  I'm so excited I got it.  The farmer actually gave it to me for restoring this wc-21  (1/2 ton dodge open cab), that is actually in really good shape too....
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: yd328 on February 08, 2015, 09:14:55 PM
Very nice, keep the pics coming ;D

Gary
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: steve-0 on February 09, 2015, 08:25:20 PM
thats a great find!
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: steve1973 on February 10, 2015, 07:06:53 AM
Wow, that's a nice track!! You will have that done in no time. You have all the hard to find stuff. All you need is a windshield frame. That can be tough unless someone has a spare laying around. Keep the photos coming.!!

Steve A.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on February 11, 2015, 07:26:52 PM
I am trying to save some money, for now I made my own roller, diameter is a little larger (12 3/4" od), but its hard to tell, still waiting on the the spring brace, but other than that I'm going to call it good, for now... got my new tires, and fuel tanks also, waiting for shop to press off old tires.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: spec4don on February 11, 2015, 09:04:21 PM
Alright John!

Don G.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: emptyhead on February 14, 2015, 06:55:22 AM
Nice find you are plugging along great.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on February 14, 2015, 09:56:32 AM
got new paint job yesterday, I am very pleased... waiting for more parts, and trying to find someone that can press off my old tires... progress.......
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: spec4don on February 14, 2015, 11:31:31 AM
John, I took mine down to Les Schwab our local one does truck tires. Much better to let some 20 something tire break down the tire :P What size of tires do you have? Do you have 9.00-20's? or do you have the 8.25-20's? Do you have combat rims? The early halftracks had split rims. Your rocking on this half track! You'll be done in no time!

Don G.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: emptyhead on February 15, 2015, 06:17:38 AM
I broke mine down myself. Broke one breaker bar getting he rim nuts off. Used a sawzall like steve showed and was able to get them off. Not an old mans job though.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on February 15, 2015, 09:43:03 AM
I still have the original combat rims with original tires from the 1940's, so, to say the least, they are going to be a bear to get off.  I went through this with my other halftrack years ago.  Les Schwab tires spent all day, and go nowhere..... I ended up taking them to a forklift tire shop and had them pressed off, but this company no longer has their press.  Using conventional methods on these rims/tires will not work, and I don't want to use a sawzall.  I believe a press will work if it is set up right, and large enough...I will keep trying to find a way to get them off this week....
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: emptyhead on February 21, 2015, 07:06:27 AM
The sawzall cut is easy. Cutting through the wire beads suck. Just sharpen a cold chisel real good and have at it. Mine where the original combat tires too killed me to cut them up but tubes where bad and tire was separating slowly. The spacer inside just fell apart.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on February 22, 2015, 11:41:02 AM
new tires installed, waiting for armor,and other parts.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on March 07, 2015, 09:25:02 AM
got rear armor on last week.  looking like a true halftrack now.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: spec4don on March 07, 2015, 09:33:25 AM
Wow looks really good. That was a quick turn around!

Don G.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: steve1973 on March 07, 2015, 02:26:03 PM
WOW, That's the fastest halftrack build ever!! ;D Great job!!

Don helped me take a mine rack off and I will be taking it in next week for a quote on a set for you. Also, the five vertical footman loops on the rear go on the inside. The special straps ypu can get from Weebee Webbing as a set. They are used to hold 30 cal. ammo cans or M1917 water can.

Steve A.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on March 08, 2015, 10:48:31 AM
I thougth those footman loops might be on the wrong side after looking at the pictures in the TM.  thanks, let me know on the mine racks... thanks.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on March 11, 2015, 07:30:14 PM
updated photo of my M2A1.  waiting for canvas seat cushions, pulpit, and small ammo locker.  still looking for mine racks, and rear storage racks..
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: steve1973 on March 11, 2015, 08:14:38 PM
John,
Tom Gunther has made the rear luggage racks in the past. He may have an extra set for sale. If he does I can pick them up in California for you and bring them when I bring you the mine racks. He goes by RocnTJ on this site if you want to PM him.

Steve A.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: RocnTJ on March 11, 2015, 08:40:00 PM
I do indeed have an extra set of m2a1 rear racks for sale.  I would love to get them out of my shop.

I can post pictures if you want to see them.

Tom
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: judyron on March 12, 2015, 08:02:30 AM
What are you going to use for a perimeter rail?  Don't see one in the picture.  Good luck on the Pulpit find, been looking for the mounting brackets and armor plates for 2 years now the ring was easy to find.

Ron M
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: steve1973 on March 12, 2015, 08:36:58 AM
Ron M,
Paul, aka superjeep, is making reproduction pulpits and all M2 and M2A1 armor stuff. Perimeter rail is easy. Most fab shops can bend that up in 10 foot sticks. You will need roughly 4 sticks at 10 fee long. That is what Don dis for his M3. Mine, done by previous owner, is made out of angle iron with a lip welded to it. It's ok for now but will get changed in the future.

Steve A.

Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: ida34 on March 12, 2015, 08:54:36 AM
updated photo of my M2A1.  waiting for canvas seat cushions, pulpit, and small ammo locker.  still looking for mine racks, and rear storage racks..

Where are you getting your seat cushions and how much do they run if you don't mind saying.

Chuck
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: judyron on March 12, 2015, 10:04:12 AM
I knew superjeep had the armor but I did not think he was making the mounts to attach it to the perimeter rail and the windshield rail, will need to contact him.

Ron M.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: Outsider on March 12, 2015, 12:17:31 PM
Hey Chuck, You can get cushions from Dave at WeeBee. He told me he makes them. I need to get with him and order some new ones for my HT.

Steve
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: ida34 on March 12, 2015, 05:24:10 PM
I was hoping to get an idea of price. They don't have the prices in their catalog. The only thing you can price is the options on the website.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: steve1973 on March 12, 2015, 05:40:56 PM
The last I talked to them the seat bottoms were $55 and the backs were a little cheaper. It is best to call them I think. Also, They will not do tops. I tried.

Steve A.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: ida34 on March 13, 2015, 08:47:03 PM
Thanks Steve. I want to get them but really need to get my paint done first. I have 3 cushions that are pretty rough. At least the backs are all there. All I need are the bottoms. Thanks for the info.

Chuck
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on March 17, 2015, 07:37:02 PM
I bought all the seat cushions, 18 of them, upper and lower, from beachwood, it ran me 2k.. expensive, but should be nice.  they will be here friday, will take a photo and post when I get them in..
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on March 20, 2015, 12:37:07 PM
just got my cushions in today
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: steve1973 on March 20, 2015, 04:57:38 PM
John,
That is one nice looking halftrack!

Steve A.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on May 06, 2015, 11:46:31 AM
Here is a updated photo of my halftrack I have been working on.  I want to thank Paul Jacobs, and the Steves for all their help on my restoration.  Pauls parts are perfect and it really went together nice.!!!! Everything I got from Paul was a perfect fit. and priced very reasonable..
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: spec4don on May 06, 2015, 04:38:34 PM
Lookin Good! We are having a big reenactment at Camp Adair Oregon at the end of May. You should bring it down! Looks like we will have 2 Hellcats, a Stuart and my M3 there and the Germans are going to have a Panzer three, a halftrack and two 222 armored cars. It's going to be a kick!

Don G.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on May 07, 2015, 07:51:08 AM
I wish I could, but getting it there is a major issue.  as it is so heavy I have no trailer to haul it on...
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: steve-0 on May 07, 2015, 12:21:20 PM
that looks great.

Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: yd328 on May 08, 2015, 02:44:56 PM
Very nice halftrack.

Gary
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on May 10, 2015, 09:51:02 AM
took the Autocar to its first car show.  A lot of people liked it.  No trophey, a Jeep scrambler beet me out of the prize.  I couldn't believe it was chosen as "best off road" class above the track.  ha ha
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: autocar925 on May 10, 2015, 10:21:20 PM
Happens a lot.  Most people at car shows don't get real excited about military vehicles.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: steve1973 on May 12, 2015, 12:23:59 AM
John,
Your track looks great! Is that a pulpit from Superjeep? If so, how did it go on fit wise? Also, did you see the mine rack drawings I posted? You should be able to get a set made locally now.

Steve A.
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on May 12, 2015, 05:31:54 PM
yes, got the pulpit from Paul.  It fit perfect!!!  I did see the mine rack drawings.  some day I will show them to my fab shop, and maybe drop off the track to have them fit them... thanks..
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: ida34 on May 13, 2015, 03:35:16 PM
I find a lot of people get excited about my MV at car shows but the organizers and other participants are the ones that turn up their nose. Can't wait to debut my track in a few weeks for Memorial Day. I only wish I could have my paint done by then but it will be done by my first show mid June.

Chuck
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on June 03, 2015, 12:25:11 PM
Found a gun ring for my track.. progress!!!! also thanks to a member on this site, I was able to fabricate the mine racks.  Thanks for all the help
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on June 03, 2015, 01:36:19 PM
photo of gun ring
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on September 25, 2015, 06:48:33 PM
Ok, after months of waiting, I finally got my gauges back.  they are like a piece of art work!!!! can't wait to get them installed!!!!
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: Tapper02 on September 26, 2015, 12:35:39 AM
Where did you have the gauges done?

-Tom
Title: Re: M2A1 5895
Post by: johne504 on September 26, 2015, 09:48:24 AM
I had Bobs Speedometer restore these gauges.  2300$
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal