halftrackinfo

pictures of your halftrack => members tracks => Topic started by: Johnnyeager on November 27, 2017, 07:14:52 AM

Title: 1941 White M2/M2A1
Post by: Johnnyeager on November 27, 2017, 07:14:52 AM
Hello! This is my first post. Wonderful to see so many people dedicated to these halftracks. I purchased this 1941 White M2/M2A1 back in 2009. Life happened and I had to put it aside but now I am ready to continue the restoration. This used to be the oldest known halftrack back on G503 years ago until the two older ones were found in North Texas back in 2013. This is Production order 721 with a serial number of 230002. Mid 1941 production with aluminum floors etc. Converted to M2A1 in 1943. It was purchased surplus after the war and made into a Logging truck/crane in Colorado. You can see in one of the pics its in its logging glory in the mountains of Colorado. As you can see the hood was removed and a new one made as well as removal of the rear armor. Luckily the guy i bought it from retrieved the original hood from the side of the mountain and i still have that. It has the orig number and the yellow armor star underneath the paint. I cut the crane off and most other modifications to start to get it back to normal. I have the original grill, hood, and rear armor now. But it still has a long way to go! Interestingly... I found the original unit markings under the layers of paint. This Track was assigned to the 20th Armored Div in 1943, after its conversion to M2A1, and continued its service with the 20th throughout WWII!
Title: Re: 1941 White M2/M2A1
Post by: WayOffTrack on November 27, 2017, 08:17:25 AM
I took that first picture when it was in Leadville with the old one handed miner, that was a fun day. I was hoping the new owner would join the site someday. Good luck on the restoration!
Title: Re: 1941 White M2/M2A1
Post by: WayOffTrack on November 27, 2017, 08:34:22 AM
What is your hood number?

 A friend and I own 229945 Ord# 658  but it is missing the hood sides so I'd like to extrapolate backwards from yours to get ours.

Thanks!
Title: Re: 1941 White M2/M2A1
Post by: col.halftrack on November 27, 2017, 01:26:57 PM
Hello Gents,
 I have both these vehicles on my G503 list.
 229945 658 Hood number by key PO number = 4010856
 230002 721                      "                         = 4010919
Thanks to both of you for saving these great tracks.
 
PS Join the MVPA!
Title: Re: 1941 White M2/M2A1
Post by: steve1973 on November 27, 2017, 05:18:31 PM
Great looking project! I have a complete hood minus hinges for sale if needed.

Steve A.
Title: Re: 1941 White M2/M2A1
Post by: yd328 on November 28, 2017, 03:37:58 PM
I wondered what happened with that one, good to see it will be restored.

Gary
Title: Re: 1941 White M2/M2A1
Post by: Sierra Padre on December 16, 2017, 07:08:05 PM
Welcome! Nice old track you've got. I own the number 2 oldest. Hope to see more Picts of yours.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal