halftrackinfo

pictures of your halftrack => post updates on the progress of your restoration => Topic started by: 8683jb on May 31, 2018, 10:16:51 PM

Title: Home-made horn button logo
Post by: 8683jb on May 31, 2018, 10:16:51 PM
I wanted an Autocar horn button. There’s a couple of pictures showing half tracks with this style horn button logo in one of David Doyle’s books. I’ve never seen an original one, but I imagine the insert with the logo was embossed brass or aluminum. Until I can find a real one, I decided to make my own, so I had some stickers of the correct size made up to match the Autocar logo of the era.

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/1799.jpg)


I didn’t want to waste the “Ross” horn button insert that came with the NOS horn kit, so I formed a new one out of .020” 2024 aluminum.  To do that, I cut out a round plate, leaving four legs and using a socket and PVC coupler of the appropriate sizes, pressed the part in an arbor press. Although any vise that opens wide enough will do.

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/2268.jpg)

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/3147.jpg)

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/4154.jpg)

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/5138.jpg)

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/6105.jpg)


I scuffed it up with red scotchbrite for some enamel.

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/10138.jpg)


After painting the insert and applying the sticker, which is about .010" thick, I used clear epoxy as a resin to encapsulate it. In order to have a bump-free surface, I re-inserted the part in the PVC coupler, leaving the edge about 1/16” below flush to contain the resin. This left it thick enough to accommodate the sticker without it leaving a bump in the finished surface.

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/20180601_085609.jpg)


The epoxy I used started to to firm up after about 15-20 minutes. At that point, I pushed the insert up just above the top of the sleeve to leave a radius on the edge and let it cure there.

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/20180601_091557.jpg)


I didn’t know whether to make it OD like the wheel or black like the horn button so I made one of each. I left an un-painted edge, similar to the Ross emblem.

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/11143.jpg)

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/12134.jpg)

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/13126.jpg)

(http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/14126.jpg)

These will do until the right one comes along.

I had to order a minimum amount of stickers and have several left if anyone else is interested in doing this. They wound up costing 1.59 ea.



Title: Re: Home-made horn button logo
Post by: beerman on June 01, 2018, 12:43:55 AM
Man those came out looking good. I would be interested in at least two.
Title: Re: Home-made horn button logo
Post by: Tapper02 on June 01, 2018, 05:07:25 AM
Absolutely Jon...I'll take one...or two depending on the number left over in case I mess the first one up.  Thanks!

-Tom
Title: Re: Home-made horn button logo
Post by: yd328 on June 01, 2018, 05:16:56 AM
That looks great, I'll take two(same reason as above).

Thanks Gary
Title: Re: Home-made horn button logo
Post by: woodwalker on June 01, 2018, 08:56:41 AM
Very nice work
Title: Re: Home-made horn button logo
Post by: 8683jb on June 01, 2018, 10:39:06 AM
Thanks guys for the compliments. If you'll PM me your mailing address, I'll send these out to you.
Jon
Title: Re: Home-made horn button logo
Post by: Hammerhead on June 02, 2018, 08:19:00 AM
Wow!  I have to agree with the others; those look incredible!!!
Title: Re: Home-made horn button logo
Post by: Smadge on June 04, 2018, 03:06:48 AM
Amazing job!
Title: Re: Home-made horn button logo
Post by: spec4don on June 05, 2018, 07:49:56 PM
Awesome

Don G
Title: Re: Home-made horn button logo
Post by: Smadge on June 28, 2018, 05:41:39 PM
My results are not as nice as Jon’s, but I’m satisfied. Thanks for the great idea.

I have a question.  On the second photo there are two tabs on one of the slats that would prevent being able to insert and lock the horn button. I’m planning on grinding on of the slats away. Anyone else encounter a horn button like this?

Thanks,

Paul
Title: Re: Home-made horn button logo
Post by: 8683jb on June 28, 2018, 05:53:19 PM
Paul - those two ribs are to keep the button indexed once it’s in place. Use a thin film of petroleum jelly or silicone grease, like DC-4 compound on the rubber tabs and then set the button in place between the tabs and rotate it under the tabs until it locks between those ribs. Your insert looks great! I’m glad it worked for you.
Jon
Title: Re: Home-made horn button logo
Post by: mkoloc on September 04, 2019, 08:14:11 AM
Outstanding work, very creative!!
Title: Re: Home-made horn button logo
Post by: mkoloc on March 01, 2020, 02:33:53 PM
John, where did you get your Ross Horn Button from?
Title: Re: Home-made horn button logo
Post by: 8683jb on March 01, 2020, 07:22:51 PM
John, where did you get your Ross Horn Button from?

It came with the horn button kit I got from warbirdrestorer a couple of years ago.
Title: Re: Home-made horn button logo
Post by: steve1973 on March 01, 2020, 08:25:31 PM
Halftrack uses the same horn kit as a M35.

Steve A.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal