Author Topic: Tight tracks  (Read 4146 times)

OzPete

Tight tracks
« on: January 01, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »
Hi Gang, Replaced my worn out tracks with the new (?) set that came with my half track, have adjusted as per manual & they were far too tight. So backed everything off & they are still too tight. Anyone have any ideas??? Where do we start???? Did major rebuild on entire track system & disappointing to get them finally on only to find no adjustment left & still to tight   ???

scotty71

Re: Tight tracks
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 07:13:49 PM »
Any chance you are able to post some photos of the problem, bit hard to diagnose the problem without seeing what is going on with the tracks.

spec4don

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 09:54:51 PM »
Any chance you are able to post some photos of the problem, bit hard to diagnose the problem without seeing what is going on with the tracks.

The tracks a supposed to be pretty tight even with my adjustment backed all the way off they still look tight. According to the book the sag is measured with weight on them If I remember it is only supposed to be about 3/4 of an inch. If it's not backing off maybe jump up and down on the tracks if the swing arm doesn't move then you may need to pull the arm to free it up.

Don G
1941 M2A1 not restored
1942 M3 Diamond T Mostly restored
1943 M3A1 Under restoration
1967 M51A2 Tractor
1945 WC 63 needs restoration
1967 M36 Long wheel base duece
1951 M135 GMC Fire truck conversion

steve1973

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 10:47:53 PM »
When installing any track you should have the nut on the tension spring backed off all the way. Once the track is installed you need to move forward and stop without using the brake. Then go in reverse and again coat to a stop without using the brake. This wiil neutral out the slack in the track. Now you place a wieghted string across the track and then have someone stand on the track while you check sag. I think the sag should be 1/2" to 3/4". Remember, you have new tracks so they will be tight. You may not have to adjust them right now. Don's were tight from the get go but has since been adjusted. Track tension should be checked often as you don't want to ruin a good track or throw one. Hope this helps.

Steve A.