Author Topic: M2A1 Front End and Engine Rebuild  (Read 51708 times)

prestone

Re: M2A1 Front End and Engine Rebuild
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 02:22:22 PM »
Very nice your Job
1941 GMC 353 A1      restored
1943 GMC 352 B1      restored
1943 WILLYS MB        restored
1944 TRAILER MBT     restored
19..   CHECKER 1T      restored
19 . . AUTOCAR M2     under restored

emptyhead

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2016, 05:30:50 AM »
Nice steve. That's kind of the way I'm doing mine a section at atime

yd328

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2016, 06:03:34 AM »
Looks great Steve.

Gary

steve1973

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2016, 01:40:49 AM »
Thanks for the nice replies.

Made some more progress. Working on cleaning parts ready for paint. These are some of the small detail pieces. Sandblasting is time consuming isn't it. but when done it makes a great start for new paint. I also have a large parts wash tank and vibratory tumbler which does a fantastic job of cleaning bolts. Here are some of my results.

At the same time I'm starting to disassemble the dash and cowling. I just need my helper to finish it up.

I'm hoping that I can finish this up by the end of the week if my helper has time. ;)

Outsider

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2016, 04:21:17 AM »
Don, I think he is referring to you! ;D

Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

steve1973

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2017, 10:04:23 AM »
Well, I got busy with work again since my last post and a cold but got a lot done in the past few weeks. I was able to finish stripping the firewall/cowling to get ready for disassembly. Another good friend Steve J. helped me with that.

I also got another batch of parts painted.

Here are a few detail photos of the rigid vacuum line and oil gauge lines. I recall someone asking for these in the past.

My breather for the hydrovac on my halftrack is tucked up underneath the dash. When I removed it I tilted it over and a bunch of oil came out. Does anyone know if this is a oil bath air cleaner and does it come apart?

We got everything removed and now ready for Don and I to disassemble. We did this last Monday and took everything to the sand blasters on Tuesday.

By then I got another cold and have been sick ever since. I'm over my fever now and starting to feel a little better now and hope to get back at it on Monday.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:12:52 AM by steve1973 »

8683jb

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2017, 02:08:21 PM »
Dang, I feel for you Steve! You'd think you'd be immune to all that hospital crud with as much as you're working around it all the time! Glad you're feeling better.
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

yd328

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »
Steve,
That is an oil bath filter. I have the same one. If I remember it does screw apart. Once you clean up the canister you will see the fill line.

Gary

steve1973

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2017, 10:09:42 AM »
Steve,
That is an oil bath filter. I have the same one. If I remember it does screw apart. Once you clean up the canister you will see the fill line.

Gary

Thanks for the info. I have it apart and is getting cleaned.

Steve A.

steve1973

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2017, 05:44:59 AM »
Made some more progress this week. It's all about sand blasting and painting for a while. I should be able to re assemble the firewall and cowling by Friday. I will be painting the windshield frame and top cowl piece today. Don has my dash and is going to remove the bolts we drilled out. That is after he gets over the cold I gave him, sorry Don. :-[

Steve A.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:14:01 AM by steve1973 »

8683jb

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2017, 09:02:19 AM »
Looks great Steve! It's nice to turn the corner and start assembling clean, painted parts.
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

emptyhead

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2017, 07:21:01 AM »
Nice work steve

steve1973

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2017, 12:19:30 AM »
I've been working hard the last three days at my shop. here is some of my progress.

Cowl/firewall section going back together.

Another batch of parts being painted. Doing a lot of cleaning, sand blasting and painting now.

Getting my e-break ready to install. I also need to install the PTO. That will get done in the next few days I hope.

Doing some repair work on the dash before painting I hope to reassemble the dash next Monday. I also need to replace two windshield retaining studs. I will be doing that tomorrow.

Steve A.

8683jb

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2017, 09:41:25 AM »
That's a lot of progress! Thanks for the pictures. Looks great.
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

steve1973

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2017, 09:50:24 AM »
One thing to note. As I've been sandblasting parts I've been looking at the stamp on all the original parts. I know by the frame number it is a White unfortunately I don't have the original data plate. that is the biggest bummer. What I have noticed are the marking for the armor plate manufacture. Majority of the symbols are square, according to Kevin, are White. I have also found a lot of Diamonds which I think id Diamond-T and keystones which must be Autocar. All this armor is from cab forward and when disassembled looked to be all original fasteners, never touched in many years. My thought it must have gone through a rebuild and when they disassemble the vehicle all the parts go in like piles for inspection, cleaned and put back out for reassemble with the first piece going to witch ever vehicle needs the part. Not manufacturer specific. I have also notice some small cracks in the armor in at least 3-4 pieces so far. Paint hid them well.

Today's list of things to do:
1.    repair and paint the dash - Most important thing today
2.    repair windshield frame
3.    pain another batch of parts
4.    bead blast small parts
5.    put PTO back on transmission

I hope to get most of this done today.

Steve A.