Author Topic: Halftrack Diesel Conversion  (Read 4424 times)

scotty71

Halftrack Diesel Conversion
« on: March 01, 2015, 11:21:34 PM »
An interesting topic on the HMVF on converting a halftrack to a Cummins 6BT engine.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?48344-Cummins-6BT-engine-conversion-in-halftrack

steve-0

• Administrator
Re: Halftrack Diesel Conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:58:47 PM »
thanks for posting this.
about 10 years ago there was a halftrack on ebay with the cummins diesel conversion.
i think they used an automatic 2wd trans and didn't worry about hooking up the front diff.

on the second page 3 posts down someone mentions they have a flywheel housing that works with no machining.
i wonder which one that is.

steve1973

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 10:18:49 PM »
Here is one with a conversion at the 2008 convention. It later sold on eBay.

Steve A.

HenryVIII

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 11:46:04 AM »
I found some info a while ago talking about standard ASME bolt patterns on bell housings. Because on some trucks, manufacturers were mixing and matching trannies and engines. For this reason someone came out with the idea of standardized bolt patterns. I believe the transmission and clutch on the halftrack is made by Spicer. If someone were able to check out what vehicles used these trannies other than halftracks and see what engines they were mated to I think there would be many possibilities. I think these transmissions and clutches were fairly common in medium duty and farm trucks. Just my thoughts.

Henry   

Outsider

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »
Truck bell housings are designated a "class". If I remember right it uses different letters for the class designation. All you need is the correct class bell housing that fits your motor and it will bolt up. Problems start with the fly wheel, clutch, and input shaft on the tranny as they also have to match up.

Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

scotty71

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 09:39:23 PM »
Photos of engine fitted to halftrack chassis posted on the HMVF forum.