Author Topic: Thunder Over Michigan  (Read 7138 times)

steve1973

Thunder Over Michigan
« on: July 20, 2015, 07:56:50 AM »
Hi Guys,
For those who don't know their is a large air show/ reenactment coming up at the end of August that will host 20 or more halftracks for the reenactment battle. The goal is to get as many variants their as possible. This is a great opportunity that should not be missed. Don and I will be going as part of Kevin Lockwood's crew. Michael Keller will be their with his M15A1. He is in need of a crew for his M15A1. If you have a uniform or can get one this is a once in a lifetime event. Since this is a reenactment Uniforms are needed. I talked to Kevin about putting a halftrack owner get together while we are their. More info can be found on the G503 site. Here are some links.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=251010

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=249442

Did I mention air show also? Well, here is a small list of what will be their:

B-29 FiFi
B-24
B-17G Yankee Lady  rides available
PB4Y-2
de Havilland Mosquito
A26-b Invader
B-25D Yankee Warrier  rides available
B-25J Super Rabbit
B-25J Georgie's Gal
B-25J Briefing Time
TBM Avenger
P-51D Ain't Misbavin
P-51D Baby - Duck
C-47D Skytrain Yankee Doodle Dandy
Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-8 Wurger

Who all is going and are you bringing a halftrack?

I would like to see a list of those attending.

Like I said earlier this is a great opportunity to see many variants all at once. Hope to see you their. ;D

Steve A.

ida34

Re: Thunder Over Michigan
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 02:25:58 PM »
I am a regular attendee and have been participating since I got my M35A2 about 10 years ago. This is my first year with my halftrack and I will be there. That is if I ever get the brakes, bogies and track sorted. I should have it done no problem. In fact, I was working on the halftrack today and heard their B17 flying over. I am only about 15 miles from Willow Run where the event is held and regularly see the B-17 coming or going. For those that have never seen or heard a B-17 flying, it is a rare treat. Hope to see everyone there.

Chuck

Outsider

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 03:42:17 PM »
Liberty will be staying home.

Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

newt

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 08:11:38 PM »
I'll be atending with my m3a1 from New Jersey. This is my second time there and it is a great event!
Hope to finally meet a lot of you guys face to face.

Chris

Dinadin

• Schafer's Folly
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 09:11:25 PM »
I will be there with my M3.  I can't wait.  When I talked to Michael Luther the other day, there are still 18 halftracks planning on being there.  I think that is the most in place since there were taken out of service.  That or outside of Southern Parts lot back in the day.  Anyway the largest showing owned by collectors.   

BTW they announce the other day that a Me 262 will be there now.  Also coming up on the truck with my track is a British Humber Scout Car, only one of a handful that still exist, or so I am told.
Rich

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

Schafer's Folly - Halftrack Restoration

spec4don

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 08:43:39 AM »
Looking forward to meeting a bunch of halftrack owners! It's going to be a blast hanging out with all of you ;D Wish I could have brought Zelda ::)

Don G.
1941 M2A1 not restored
1942 M3 Diamond T Mostly restored
1943 M3A1 Under restoration
1967 M51A2 Tractor
1945 WC 63 needs restoration
1967 M36 Long wheel base duece
1951 M135 GMC Fire truck conversion

Jay M

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 06:49:28 PM »
  Hello again,
 Ive never been to this event before, and Im wanting to visit with as many of ya'll as possible. But I don't know where ya'll are going to be set up and when is a good time so I don't interrupt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                                                                                                             Jay

newt

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 02:23:36 PM »
Anyone bringing any spares or need any? We just might want to have a an impromptu half track swap meet. I know there are a few things I could use.

Chris

steve1973

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 03:10:05 PM »
If anyone is interested I can have the following shipped to my hotel.

reproduction fender headlights $330

vent kits $600

oil pan and side cover gaskets $70 set

Just let me know if you need these items and I can bring them to the show.

Steve A.

steve1973

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 06:15:59 PM »
Hi all, Getting excited here and can't wait to see and meat everyone. Kevin Lockwood is wokring on putting a get together for halftrack owners while their. I think the 1530 time on Saturday is the best or even later as a dinner somewhere where we can unwind a bit and relax. Don and I are staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Belleville and will be in Thursday evening. I know Friday there is a parade and I think Kyle mentioned a dinner for one of the nights. I could be wrong on that though.  I heard there will be an Me 262 there. That is one rare bird. can't wait. ;D

Steve A.

col.halftrack

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 07:49:22 AM »
 I would be glad to bring any parts. I am driving up in my pickup. Exhaust systems or otherwise.
 Kevin
1941 White M2
1942 White M4A1 was M4
1942 Autocar M2A1
1942 Autocar M3-75
1943 White M13 rebuilt as M16
1943 Diamond T M3A1

newt

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 06:39:16 PM »
Sounds Like a great get together. This will be the first event I've had my track at in almost five years. And just had it out of the garage last week for the first time in a year. It will be nice to get back in the swing of things after taking a few years off.

big44maghunter

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 12:28:21 PM »
Been a member of this site for a couple of years and did an introduction back then.  I have been lurking and contemplating a halftrack project off and on for a long time.  I recently took the plunge and picked up an M3 project.  I live about 25min from willow run and my wife and I are going to the show on Saturday.  Looking forward to seeing all the tracks and hopefully someone with an M3 will let me take a closer look at what my future track should look like.

Thanks - Brad

steve1973

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 09:52:08 AM »
Just getting back from Thunder Over Michigan and I have to say that is one for the history books! I counted 19 halftracks but think there were some late arrivals making the total 21. Not sure but their was a lot of tracks! I want the thank Kyle and all the organizers who put this once in a lifetime event together. The best part is I got to meet a lot of forum members and put a face to their name. I want to thank Michael Keller and his wife Joanne for the privilege of being crew on the M15A1. That in it self was worth the trip, Thanks! Now for some photos. These are a selected few from my phone. I will be posting more when I get my stuff shipped back to me.

Enjoy the photos!

Steve A.

beerman

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 11:23:57 AM »
  Thanks for taking the time to post pictures. It would be nice to be able to know who all was there and which halftrack they own. Kind like you said to put a face with the name, and there halftrack.

Thanks, Jeff