Author Topic: Looking at halftracks, what to look for when buying  (Read 5445 times)

andy

Looking at halftracks, what to look for when buying
« on: December 19, 2010, 09:51:14 AM »
What are the bad points to look for when purchasing a halftrack?
Im in the market, found a few to look at. Most are projects

Andy
1943 M4A1 (restored to M2A1)

steve-0

• Administrator
Re: Looking at halftracks, what to look for when buying
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 02:46:55 PM »
hey this is a good topic.
first thing to look at is the frame, they commonly crack right in front of the rear differential also it is also very common for farmers to add a boom to these and bend the frame. this is harder to spot especially if it has all been removed before you buy it so get underneath it and see if you can spot any bends and ask them what it had on it when it was found. second does it have the original data plate? some restorers wont even bother starting a restoration if the frame is bad or no original data plate. i have seen many halftracks with repaired frames and reproduction data plates that look great and likely have the same value, im just trying to cover some opinions out there. the cab armor is still relatively easy to find but the winch bumper and front roller are no so try and get those. if you are going to get one without a rear bed and are going to do a frame off restoration you will have alot of time to find one  :) . some people are using a flat piece of diamond plate in place of the rear bed and with all the stuff that goes in there (fuel tanks ect) it looks fine. if you want an original rear bed and don't want to spend your life savings on a repo one then just keep watching this forum, the G, ebay, craigslist ect and one will show up. the more complete it is when you start the less money you will spend in the end. dont let dealers tell you that the only way your halftrack will have any value is if you buy one of there $10,000-15,000 repo rear beds.
we will eventually have the rear armor drawing posted for the halftracks which will also save money. you will also save alot of money if you dont buy one from a halftrack parts dealer, you will likely find one closer to you and for half the price if you ask around and keep checking the boards and auction sites.

if you have anything to add or differing opinions please post
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 03:26:36 PM by steve-0 »

Dinadin

• Schafer's Folly
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 06:19:20 PM »
Before you buy get to know the local MV owners if you can.  After I bought my first halftrack, from a dealer, I started going to the local MVPA meetings found out that someone was selling one locally.  While the people you may meet may not own or want to restore a halftrack they may know where one is.  Be aware that it will most likely take a one ton or larger truck to pull it.  My friend was able to haul my fairly complete halftrack with his 3/4 ton, but it really knew it was there and luckily it was only a couple of miles.  Don't be surprised, if there are tracks on it, that you will have to replace the tracks eventually.  Something to look for are the hinges, they seemed to have gotten scarce since I got started and as far as I know no one is making reproduction ones yet.  Not that should be a deal breaker, just take it as a bonus if they are there. 
Rich

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

Schafer's Folly - Halftrack Restoration

TopKick

• Show Me, Scout and Me October 3, 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 11:26:22 PM »
Buy the most complete, running  Half Track you can afford, even if it means taking out a loan.
Old Soldiers fade away, but their Memories, Historic Military Vehicles, Aircraft, Weapons, and Equipment will live on in our loving care. Support Our Troops!

WayOffTrack

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:44:46 AM »
some restorers wont even bother starting a restoration if the frame is bad

I'm one of those guys. I've seen some crazy bad frames in my day. Here is a not that sweet one up in PA.

steve-0

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:10:51 AM »
here is another one with a slightly bent frame. you may just be able to shim the rear bed up. ;D

WayOffTrack

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 05:26:31 PM »
Steve that wavy frame is incredible. I wonder if it bent like that from the constant up and down motion of a dragline bucket or something similar.

FrankUSMC

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 06:48:12 PM »
Maybe he locked the front brakes up? ;)
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

steve-0

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 08:06:06 PM »
Maybe he locked the front brakes up? ;)
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
haa!! ;D