Author Topic: "Rough Night" M3a1 Restoration  (Read 7910 times)

big44maghunter

"Rough Night" M3a1 Restoration
« on: October 05, 2016, 06:30:05 PM »
Well, thought I would start a thread on my restoration.  It'll take a long time but might as well start one now.  I chose the name Rough Night, just liked it. No special hidden meaning.
I got this track this time last year and have been out of town for work most of the time since then.  I'm still learning about what all I'll be doing by reviewing the many great builds on here and through many books that I have purchased.   I believe it started life as an M3 and was converted to M16 in the early 50's.  It then was at a base in Michigan where it was surpluses out.  A junk yard had it and eventually it made its way to the person I procured it from last year. 

Yes, it's had a few " Rough Nights"!

big44maghunter

Re: "Rough Night" M3a1 Restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 06:36:54 PM »
I've been removing parts as I get time.  I plan on building a pole barn soon so that should help speed up progress!  Here are some pics of the progress.

Well one to start, I forgot I removed some pic from my phone!  I'll post more from my computer later.

Torque

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 07:02:44 PM »
I like it, that is one cool exhaust manifold!

steve1973

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 08:00:43 PM »
Wow, great project. I have a complete hood assembly, intake/exhaust manifold assembly and some other stuff you might want. I sent you a PM.

Steve A.

big44maghunter

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 08:24:11 PM »
Thanks Steve!  I have a lot of parts, just not on the track!  I have all of the front although I think my cowel (?) Bottom below windshield in not correct.   It may be for a scout car.  Also have this, but it needs some work also.

Darth_Kitten

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 09:09:49 PM »
Awesome! Looking forward to following your progress!

big44maghunter

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 04:53:29 PM »
Some additional parts I have, including a bed.  I believe this is one of Outsider's beds.

I'm hoping to get some more parts local soon.  After that I'll start picking things up from places further away or that need to be shipped.

Outsider

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
Yes, That looks like one of mine. To confirm it look at the front trays at the outer edge  right where they lay on the big cross member on both sides there should be a number stamped.

To do an A1 model restoration the front floor plate will need to be switched out.

Steve

PS. You need to save that header for posterity! ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:57:55 PM by Outsider »
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

yd328

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 10:08:16 AM »
That looks like a nice project. It's interesting to see the front tire TP stenciled inside the fender.

Gary

Outsider

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 10:20:48 AM »
yd328, I found my HT stenciled there as well, except in an earlier style lettering.

Steve

big44maghunter

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 10:38:26 AM »
That looks like a nice project. It's interesting to see the front tire TP stenciled inside the fender.

Gary

Yes, had that on both sides.

Brad

big44maghunter

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 06:58:41 PM »
Made some good progress on the tear down today!  Could've used a larger tractor!

Outsider

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 07:04:15 PM »
Looks like good progress. Now you have lots of little pieces to work on inside when the snow starts flying.

Steve

big44maghunter

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 04:24:53 PM »
Got the brake booster off and some other small parts today including that awesome exhaust manifold.   If any one is running their track in a smash up derby this would work well!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:37:07 PM by big44maghunter »

big44maghunter

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 06:07:30 PM »
Got a load of parts the other day, some original some reproduction. All four side wall pieces are original.  The rear door is supposed to be original, but the rear side pieces are repro.  All the track pieces are reproduction and still need the holes chamfered.  The doors are a mix, both uppers and one lower are original, one lower is repro.  Pistol ports and other parts are a mix. 
Other items include two original left side tank covers and one repro right.  One new vintage Maine wiring harness, repro lube chart, some original sheet metal parts, 1000 bolts, 3 canvas window covers, two track rollers.

Couple of the parts have markings on them.  The original lower door has a name on it!  "ANACONDA",  isn't that cool!

Couple of the rear side armor piece have cracks, some pretty bad.  Any one weld up cracks on original armor?   If so, what did you do? Heat then weld?

Brad