Author Topic: 18G Winch Safety Brake Questions???  (Read 715 times)

calibrator

18G Winch Safety Brake Questions???
« on: November 26, 2016, 02:37:30 PM »
Had the winch sand blasted with the intent of just painting and changing the fluid.  Seems the French really fumbled the ball regarding the condition of the winch.  When back from the blasters, it was obvious that the joint between the upper and lower case halves was weeping fluid badly.  I could actually see a small gap on the inboard mating surface, so I took the upper cover off.  The case was packed with this waxy looking grease the French used everywhere else.  There was quite a bit of crud at the bottom.  The most glaring issue was the bronze side bearings were rotated 90 degrees, the locator pins were not anchoring them, and were mushroomed over.  Obvious reason the gap in the halves was there.  OK, OK, made new pins and straightened out that mess.

My issue is, I can't find definitive data about HOW the Safety Brake is supposed to function.  I assume there is a lip seal between it and the main case, since there are supposed to be two seals in the unit.  I'm assuming it is supposed to run dry.  The seal on the input side is leaking pretty good as I started to fill it, so I'm of the opinion both are likely bad.  I have 2 on order.

If I stand looking at the winch from the input shaft side, I can turn the shaft easily CW, but it is rather hard to rotate the shaft CCW.  I'm assuming this is some function of the safety Brake.  Should the drag be the same both ways???  Is there any input if something sounds obviously wrong from my description.  I plan on replacing the seals, so the brake will be coming off anyway.

calibrator

Re: 18G Winch Safety Brake Questions???
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 03:35:32 PM »
***DISREGARD ABOVE POSTING***