Author Topic: Clutch adjustment?  (Read 1906 times)

8683jb

Clutch adjustment?
« on: February 06, 2017, 07:02:44 PM »
Now that some of the rewiring is done and the dash board is back in, I can move my project around a little easier and I'm finding my clutch doesn't seem to be fully releasing. Starting the engine in neutral and the clutch out, I mash down on the clutch and it just grinds terrible trying to get it into gear. I adjusted the clutch a couple of notches and it's better but I still have to wait about a five-count after the clutch pedal is on the floor before I can get it into gear, and even at that it still bounces the shifter going in...but at least it goes in! I have about one to one-and-a-half inches of free pedal. I don't know if it's a function of all of that mass spinning around and it takes a little while for it to stop, or if I should I take up a little more on the clutch adjustment. Whaddya think?
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

steve1973

Re: Clutch adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 09:23:26 PM »
First, clutch adjustment is done at the clutch disc and not the linkage. Second, what weight gear oil are you using? You may want to use a thicker gear oil to slow things down. I will have to look next time I'm at the shop to see what I use. If your halftrack has been sitting for a long time the clutch may be stuck and will need to be freed.

Steve A.

steve1973

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 10:13:56 PM »
I had to make a quick trip to the shop on the way to work tonight. The gear oil I use is 85W140.
Steve A.

8683jb

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 11:49:23 PM »
Thanks Steve. I did the adjustment with the adjusting ring at the clutch. The oil is whatever was in it. I don't know what flavor it is but I can change it out to 85W140. One thing I forgot to do was to check the space between the throwout bearing and the spring plate hub to see if it's within the 3/8” to 1/2” dimension as shown in TM 9-710 (thanks Alan). Maybe there's a little more adjustment that can be made.
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

WayOffTrack

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 08:16:34 AM »
If you are not double clutching that could be part of the problem also possibly?

8683jb

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 08:25:05 AM »
Not yet - this is just putting it in gear after start-up!
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

Outsider

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 05:37:57 PM »
I'm not at home right now to look at my TM, but semis are 1/2" throw out bearing to clutch brake and 1/8" throw out bearing to clutch linkage fingers.
Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!