Author Topic: Shaft seal surfaces.  (Read 2680 times)

Monkeypirate

Shaft seal surfaces.
« on: April 11, 2017, 11:41:03 PM »
Hello every one! I am in the process of cleaning up my M2 frame and im looking at my spindles and shafts that the idlers mount on. I know the old leather seals eat into the shafts( I've read story's of them eating through shafts on older cars!)  and i was wondering if anyone has had problems with new seals leaking on shafts with slight wear on them? I have the old leather seals for all the axles and idlers but I'm debating weather to use them or swap out to the newer stuff. As a last thought, I know leather seals need to be soaked in oil before installation. What oil do you use? Would a leather conditioner or restorer work better?All thoughts and opinions welcome! Thanks!

Smadge

Re: Shaft seal surfaces.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 09:19:55 AM »
Any answers as to soaking the leather seals?  I’ll be reassembling my bogies soon and have NOS seals. Thanks!

Paul
1941 M2-232 Autocar (restoring)
MVPA Member

8683jb

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 04:10:21 PM »
My NOS seals were really hard. I soaked them in neatsfoot oil for a few days and then pushed them onto an arbor the same diameter as the journals they run on just to stretch them to size. They were still pretty hard after that, so I threw them back into the neatsfoot oil and forgot about them for about a month. When I took them out there was only a little improvement, but, even though it was a tight fit, they slipped onto their journals just fine when I assembled everything and are pliable enough to do their jobs. A friend said be boiled his in linseed oil and they softened right up. You might try that too. Good luck with them.

Jon
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

Smadge

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 05:17:50 PM »
Thanks Jon!  I'll try the linseed oil first.

Paul
1941 M2-232 Autocar (restoring)
MVPA Member