Author Topic: Air filter disassembly  (Read 900 times)

coreyelliott

Air filter disassembly
« on: May 30, 2017, 08:40:06 PM »
I've searched the forums and tried out my google-fu but haven't come up with an answer for this yet.  Does the air filter assembly come apart, other than the lower bowl coming off?  In my experience with oil bath air cleaners, as far as I remember, the element was always removable for service.  I can't get this thing apart and didn't want to really start getting the big guns out until I was sure it was supposed to come apart.  In the attached picture, that's as far as I can get it broken down so far.

Thanks!

Corey

Tapper02

Re: Air filter disassembly
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 02:26:05 AM »
That's pretty much it Corey.  Sent you a PM.

-Tom
1944 AUTOCAR M15A1 (M16A1) HALF-TRACK:
(Being restored to an M3A1 configuration)
SERIAL NUMBER M-15 A 1, 1356
MODEL M-16 A 1, ORD. SERIAL NUMBER 1106

MVPA # 30507

emptyhead

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 05:42:16 AM »
The bottom part that sits in the oil bath is soidered in . Mount it in a vise and heat the the where the cylinder joins the bottom part of the air filter assy. Better do it in a well ventilated area and have a extinguisher close by as the oil will smoke and catch fire. I took mine apart cleaned it and put the mesh back in as I wanted a serviceable air filter. I just tacked it in two places and epoxied the rest of the joint. Good luck.

WayOffTrack

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 07:59:55 AM »
I soak mine in lye and water solution (maybe 10%) completely submerged and it removes the old baked on oil out in a couple days. It will remove the paint also. If you do this make sure to submerge in a clean bucket of warm soapy water and rinse well to remove any lye residue. Won't touch the rust but other than that will be squeaky clean.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:31:52 AM by WayOffTrack »