Author Topic: (Parts of) Halftracks used post-war  (Read 3219 times)

RB-058

(Parts of) Halftracks used post-war
« on: October 25, 2017, 02:37:06 PM »
In my search to Yale spur geared blocks used on GMC CCKW 353 Lot 7 systems (who would've guessed! I've found some btw), I stumbled upon some pictures of how parts of our beloved Halftracks were used post-war.
In this case in my home country, the Netherlands. As I grew up in a family where several U.S. WWII vehicles were restored, it gives me a bittersweet feeling to see these pictures.. It is great to see that the technology was used to upgrade - a DAF (DAF is owned by the PACCAR Co. since late nineties btw.)  V1600 DD358 truck with the tracks of an M3 Halftrack and a lot 7 hoist system. But on the other hand it makes you kind of sad as you realise that some of our Halftracks were cannabalized for this new truck. It was a different time..
This particular truck was especially made for the use on the Royal Netherlands air force bombing range "Vliehors" to retrieve dummy bombs that were thrown by F-104 Starfighter jets. As this bombing range is on one of the Wadden Islands in the North Sea, the original DAF truck was not holding up in the loose sand of this island. So in 1977 the Dutch government gave order to the Terberg company to design a truck that was able to operate in these specific curcimstances.

Interesting to see is that the tracks are mounted the other way around as designed on the original Allied Halftracks. I don't know what the idea is behind this but it is interesting to say the least. The entire drive train is DAF. It leaves us wondering where the rest of the harvested M3 went.

Nevertheless an interesting find in how the technology was used post-war.

(Source: http://www.alexmiedema.nl/2017/10/07/daf-v1600-half-track-bommenberger/ )

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:40:48 PM by RB-058 »
1943 White Halftrack M4A1
1944 White Halftrack M16

col.halftrack

Re: (Parts of) Halftracks used post-war
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 03:52:17 PM »
New to me! Love to see these thanks for the post.
1941 White M2
1942 White M4A1 was M4
1942 Autocar M2A1
1942 Autocar M3-75
1943 White M13 rebuilt as M16
1943 Diamond T M3A1

Monkeypirate

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:26:22 PM »
Now this is an awesome idea.I should pick up a spare frame and do this to my '59 F5!

WayOffTrack

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 04:48:44 AM »
Here is one that belonged to a circus and used to setup tent poles.

Outsider

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 04:49:43 AM »
Is that a DAF staff car sitting next to it?

Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

RB-058

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 05:26:20 AM »
my apologies for this incredible late reply... Was skimming through my posts and saw this one unanswered.. Yes, that is a DAF staffcar in the back. Famous for its variomatic gearbox which gave the ability to have the same speed going backwards as forwards! Nice picture of the circus track!
1944 White Halftrack M16

Outsider

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 06:02:34 AM »
My friend has one of those staff cars. Those transmissions are really weird. Actually he has quite a collection of DAF military vehicles including some rare ones.

Looks like most of those trucks were DAF was this show in the Netherlands?

Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

RB-058

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 06:29:29 AM »
It is a weird transmission indeed but also pretty savvy. Nice to hear about that collection, they had some nice trucks! What do you think of how the gear shifter is positioned in the trucks? Right side just behind you..
These pictures were taken on the Daf Museum Dagen (Daf museam days) in Eindhoven, the Netherlands - in which they take the vehicles out of stock that are not in the museum.

Rob
1944 White Halftrack M16