Author Topic: How many members have found WWII markings on their Halftracks?  (Read 1394 times)

Johnnyeager

How many members have found WWII markings on their Halftracks?
« on: November 27, 2017, 07:26:11 AM »
My halftrack is a 1941 White M2/M2A1. I was very fortunate to find the orig WWII unit markings on the Bumber and the nickname on the doors after carefully removing the layers of paint. This halftrack was assigned to the 20th Armored Division in 1943. It has the triangle 20th on the passenger side front bumper and the vehicle number of "31" on the drivers side front bumper. I found a fantastic nickname painted on both the passenger and driver's doors. "OUTCAST" was it's nickname.You can see the orig clear painted numbers and the later "Field applied" over painted numbers.  How many other members have pics of the markings they found? Would love to see them! 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:28:58 AM by Johnnyeager »

8683jb

Re: How many members have found WWII markings on their Halftracks?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 09:48:48 AM »
Very cool!!
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

col.halftrack

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 01:41:25 PM »
My M4A1 had original bumpers markings that seem to date from late forties thru the fifties. I had always thought the M16 was the only half-trac in regular use post Korea but after finding a Infantry Division marked mortar track at the 45th ID Museum in Oklahoma and then re-covering the markings on the M4A1 I was restoring I began to do research. My M4A1 was a early M4 which at one point was converted to the M4A1. The markings indicated use by the 10th (bottom layer of markings) and then 1st Div reconn units.
  I was always under the opinion that armored infantry were the only users of mortar tracks and I assumed that when disbanded or re-organized into leg/motorized infantry this was when the mortar track were surplused. I found TO&Es showing in fact that both mortar tracks (in the reconn section) and M16s (AAA) continued in service well passed Korea. I believe the M4A1 my M4A1 received a complete rebuild leading up to Korea as it had the late mods to it i.e. multiple tool carrier, etc. It was apparently assigned to the 10th ID stationed ar Ft Riley, Ks. and then when the 10th gyroscoped to Germany and relieved the 1st ID the divisions swapped equipment. So the next two layers of marking show use by 1st ID Reconn.

Other markings.
 I have been lucky enough to own several tracks and other than the bridge tonnage marking on the right fender the most common is a stenciled "SK-40" on many of them usually on the drivers cowl ahead of the drivers door. Anyone else see these?
1941 White M2
1942 White M4A1 was M4
1942 Autocar M2A1
1942 Autocar M3-75
1943 White M13 rebuilt as M16
1943 Diamond T M3A1

yd328

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 04:10:22 PM »
Kevin,
I had SK-45 in yellow on both hood side panels, just above the registration number. 

There are also a lot of storage markings on the passenger side panels in the rear. The right ammo door has vehicle shipping info. The left ammo door has the radios that were last installed in the halftrack. The hood has a smaller star on the top . There are also bumper markings that are difficult to make out.

Gary

A National Acrobat

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »
The only marking that I've found (and it is on the very lowest layer of paint) is this one, obviously a bridging weight but I have no idea if it is a US marking or post war one. Was told that it might be an early US marking but I honestly have no idea . . . if anyone has any insight on that I'd be very interested to hear it!

There's a couple of other markings but they all appear to be post war. Oh and what was left of a white tomb stone shape on the driver's door.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:58:14 PM by A National Acrobat »

FrankUSMC

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 07:51:33 PM »
My 1941 M2 half track never went through a rebuild, so it has all the early items still on it plus the markings. It was found with the yellow stars and the name "Shirley" on the passenger door. Sadly some removed the rear bumpers, and the front bumper is well used so no unit markings were found.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET