Author Topic: Idler Spindle Nut Removal Tool?  (Read 574 times)

colkking

Idler Spindle Nut Removal Tool?
« on: March 05, 2018, 01:22:19 AM »
Good evening, gentlemen!
So, I am now turning my attention to dismantling the back end of the war wagon...

I got the paybed off, and am trying to get the idler wheels off before I go after the bogies.  Got the outer idler wheel off, but when I tried to take the inner wheel off, it looks like I need some sort of tool with indents on all four quadrants to take the nut off the spindle...anyone have any ideas where I can find this mystery tool?  Do they still use one like it today, or on a different vehicle (M35 or something)?  I don't want to resort to using a hammer and drift if I can help it. 
Any advice/recommendations would be very welcome!
Thanks in advance!
KK

steve1973

Re: Idler Spindle Nut Removal Tool?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 08:23:53 AM »
There is a tool for that. Not sure who has them for sale anymore. I would try a commercial truck parts place. The manuals have good instructions for dismantling the rear including the M2 Base Shop Data Book I sell.

Steve A.

beerman

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »
I made mine from a piece of muffler pipe that matched the diameter and then welded pieces of key stock that fit the grooves in the nut. Give me a day or so I can get a picture. I will be home in a few days from work.

Thanks, Jeff

Chrishig

• 978-618-9464
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 06:41:07 PM »
I can't remember where I got this. I think it came from Europe on ebay. 
M3 in pieces
M2 in pieces
M15A1 becoming an M3
M38
GPW
M923A2