Author Topic: Another hinge repair story  (Read 2089 times)

8683jb

Another hinge repair story
« on: March 11, 2018, 03:34:09 PM »
I know this is old territory, but this is a different twist. My driver’s side lower hinge was goose-loose, so I pulled it and removed the hinge pin for replacement. I found that besides the pin, the hinge itself was worn so much that a 5/16” pin wouldn’t fix it, so I had to drill the hinge out to 11/32”.

For a new pin, I hopped on the lathe and turned the shank of a long 3/8” bolt down to 11/32”. I turned the head to about ½” diameter and then rounded it to a brazier profile to match the head of the original pin. At first, I left it long enough to heat & beat the shop head into shape, as previous posts have shown, but my level of talent is such that anything I do involving a torch and red metal usually doesn’t end well, so I thought I’d try a different method:

After shortening the pin to just past flush with the bottom of the hinge, I drilled into it about 1” and threaded the hole to ¼-20. Then I turned the head of a slotted ¼-20x3/4” truss-head screw to about ½” diameter and rounded it to the brazier profile as well. I soldered the slot shut and then turned it smooth with a file and emery cloth. After assembling the hinge, I used JB Weld on the threads and screwed the now brazier-headed, non-slotted screw into the pin. A little OD paint finished it. Now the hinge is tight, and the door doesn’t drag on the bottom anymore.

This might sound like a lot of work but it’s not really. The hardware is inexpensive and if you have access to a lathe and drill press, it’s only about a two-beer job, maximum, including re-mounting the hinge.

(Sorry the pictures are 90 degrees out of phase. They go in straight up but come out sideways...??)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 03:42:31 PM by 8683jb »
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

yd328

Re: Another hinge repair story
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 05:32:54 AM »
Very nice work.8) Thanks for posting.

Gary

mkoloc

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 08:16:53 AM »
Thank you for sharing!
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
Cell:  715-821-9426

TeamMarine

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 07:48:25 PM »
My dad did a lot of that with the footman loops that were supposed to be riveted, fantastic job!!