Author Topic: "LUCKY 13" Restoration Process  (Read 1557 times)

coreyelliott

Re: "LUCKY 13" Restoration Process
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2018, 11:24:10 PM »
Thanks for all of the support, it really helps us keep moving forward!   ;D

Corey

coreyelliott

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2018, 02:08:09 PM »
We continue to make slow progress.  Transmission has been gone through and is about 80% done being reassembled, using new parts where needed (I'm still having trouble disassembling the top plate/shifter plate).  The transfer case has been completely disassembled and cleaned and we are hunting down new parts for that.  We are trying to cross reference new bearing rather than replace with NOS, and there seems to be one final bearing we are having troubles finding.  We continue to collect parts we will need for the engine.  Kevin has been very helpful with some of these parts. 

The costs continue to climb.

As we were looking over our engine parts that are haphazardly scattered all over the shop, Shon noticed something on the crankshaft that neither of us had seen before.  It looks to be a sacrificial wear ring on the end of the crankshaft, next to the crankshaft timing gear.  It is the area where a seal rides, so it is obviously a replaceable part for when the seal begins to wear a groove.  I noticed Gary has them for sale on ebay and he calls them "HALF TRACK CRANKSHAFT SEAL WEAR RING".  However, our problem is that this "wear ring" spins on the crankshaft.  It's not a tight enough fit.  If we were to install it like this, the crank would spin inside of the ring.  It's not a loose fit, there just isn't enough of an interference fit to prevent them from spinning.

I've looked through TM 9-1711 (the engine TM) several times and haven't seen this piece mentioned anywhere at all.

Any ideas on how to repair this?  A new crank is really not an option.

I'll get new photos of our latest progress posted sometime soon.

Corey

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 02:31:19 PM by coreyelliott »

Outsider

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2018, 03:54:43 PM »
Replacement sleeves for the wear area for seals is a common practice. Any good seal retailer or engine machine shop should be able to measure your crank and get you the correct speedy sleeve.

Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

yd328

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2018, 05:19:00 PM »
However, our problem is that this "wear ring" spins on the crankshaft.  It's not a tight enough fit.  If we were to install it like this, the crank would spin inside of the ring.  It's not a loose fit, there just isn't enough of an interference fit to prevent them from spinning.

I had my engine done at a shop but that part probably tightens down when the balancer is tightened. Maybe someone that has first hand knowledge on that can chime in. Also, you can try installing your balancer on the crank to see if it will tighten up.

Gary

warbirdrestorer

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2018, 05:37:41 PM »
Go to your local bearing  distributor and pick one up. It’s called a speedy sleeve . All you need is the  O.D. Of the shaft and they can hook you up.

warbirdrestorer

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2018, 08:22:13 AM »
Sorry my post didn’t go out and I noticed that I just repeated what Steve said.

coreyelliott

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2018, 10:45:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.  I have dealt with speedi sleeves before, most recently on the pinion shaft of a differential on a Chevy Blazer.  I don't think my brain made the connection because the sleeves I am used to dealing with are very thin, where this thing is a real thick collar. 

Also, based on what yd328 said, I'm now curious about whether or not the harmonic balancer pinches this collar and locks it in place.  When we got this motor, the balancer was missing the center bolt holding it on.  As I think about it , if the balancer does in fact pinch the collar, then it may have backed off a little since the bolt was missing and allowed the collar to become loose on the crank.  Interesting.  I'll have to investigate some more.

Corey

Selliott

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2018, 09:43:19 PM »
Any chance anyone out there would want to trade a generator for a starter?  It might be a long shot, but we have 2 generators and no starters!
1943 Ford GPW
WWII Living Historian