Author Topic: Resurfacing the head and block  (Read 3295 times)

Crawford

Resurfacing the head and block
« on: October 04, 2020, 01:26:15 PM »

Not had the best of luck this year, a cracked block has forced me to replace the engine with a 1960's 'French' rebuilt unit.

I'm slowly stripping it down as it has sat in a box for 40 years plus, just to make sure I'm not going to have problems further down the line. The face of the block and head are not as good as I had hoped and I'm considering having both faces skimmed, however I don't know if they were done as part of the rebuild, although I suspect not.

Does anyone know how much can be safely skimmed off one or both before I have clearance problems?

Thank you
Crawford
1943 GPW
1943 Diamond T M3A1

Oxford, England

brit plumber

Re: Resurfacing the head and block
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 03:26:48 AM »
 I’m surprised it wasn’t skimmed as part of the rebuild. Perhaps it was within tolerance. Where did you get it from? Was it BAIV? Sindorf?
1942 VEP GPW

Crawford

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 04:06:58 AM »
It probably was but 40 odd years in a box has not been kind and it would be prudent to have it polished over again.

I looked at both BAIV and Sindorf but bought from a chap in the UK (it was much cheaper) who had had it stored for a number of years after he lost interest in a project.

Generally speaking it is as you would expect from a 'rebuilt' engine although the preservation oil had solidified into a treacle like substance which has blocked a few passages and areas that missed the treatment are showing signs of corrosion.

Crawford
1943 GPW
1943 Diamond T M3A1

Oxford, England

brit plumber

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 06:15:22 AM »
Is that Steve up in north York’s?
1942 VEP GPW

emptyhead

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 02:33:18 PM »
I just got mine from Sindof vey little if any rut on the unit preservative was still liquid and runny. The only problem I had was with the cultch stuck to the flywheel. Rubber bag around it was unbroken and the catch pan looked factory new. Was either brought back or was an untouched engine with the crank, rods and mains all being standard.