Author Topic: A hectic weekend, but progress!  (Read 334 times)

A National Acrobat

A hectic weekend, but progress!
« on: August 13, 2018, 04:12:38 AM »
So we've had a couple of weeks stripping down the front end, engine out, bulkhead off you know how it goes. Very much a learning curve! As I've said before this is my first ever halftrack so I am trying to take my time and get it right.

Anyway thought you'd be amused by some pictures of the engine removal and such.

As the second picture shows, I think we might just need a new starter! Didn't look too bad from the top (although I was sure it was knackered), well the underside speaks for itself. The generator is in the same condition. This engine is seized and I suspect beyond my ability to rebuild (and probably isn't savable), fortunately we already have a take out engine to replace it. The new engine is missing the water pump so I pulled the one off this old engine and there's nothing wrong with it, I was more than a little surprised! While the engine is beyond saving, the water pump is fine, who'd have thought?

We probably didn't get everything right when removing what was left of the cab but she's off now and it wasn't too painful.

Oh a mystery that I'm hoping I can get an answer to. The engine side armour, below the wings have had a piece gas cut out and a piece of tubing welded over the rough edge (very crudely done). I would say it was done in the field but am not knowledgeable enough on'Tracks to know. I was wondering if anyone had seen this before?

Anyway that's it for now. Will try and keep you updated on further progress.

Tom

Tapper02

Re: A hectic weekend, but progress!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 08:23:27 AM »
Yeah, I'd say the starter is toast.

Regarding the cutouts...this is pretty common and was done to prevent the tire from rubbing when at full throw with the suspension compressed.

Great job stripping it down...has it cooled off up there in Britain yet?  W&PR was a bit hot!

-Tom
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:40:51 AM by Tapper02 »
1944 AUTOCAR M15A1 (M16A1) HALF-TRACK:
(Being restored to an M3A1 configuration)
SERIAL NUMBER M-15 A 1, 1356
MODEL M-16 A 1, ORD. SERIAL NUMBER 1106

MVPA # 30507

spec4don

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 09:07:13 AM »
Whoa, yep that’s a little rough!

Don G.
1941 M2A1 not restored
1942 M3 Diamond T Mostly restored
1943 M3A1 Under restoration
1967 M51A2 Tractor
1945 WC 63 needs restoration
1967 M36 Long wheel base duece
1951 M135 GMC Fire truck conversion

A National Acrobat

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 10:07:44 AM »
Haha yeah sadly I think I might, just might, have to find a new starter!

Still the mechanical parts seem to be coming in in a steady flow, it's interior parts that I can't find, seats and such (but looking through this website that seems pretty common). Anyway long way to go before I really NEED those parts.

Yeah cooling off a little here in Blighty, although it's warmed up a little again today. W&P was a good laugh and as usual a good time was had but it was just a little too warm I think!

Cleprechaun

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 12:06:13 AM »
im Glad those days are over. I’m seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Is your crab assembly stuck? I got a cure for that

A National Acrobat

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 06:32:22 AM »
Not stuck, I'm just trying to leave her in fairly large lumps at the moment. The chassis needs plenty of work so we're pulling her apart and doing the frame work then we'll work on the other parts one at a time.