Author Topic: How to get these stud locks off without damage to the axle?  (Read 2402 times)

SgtKish

How to get these stud locks off without damage to the axle?
« on: November 16, 2018, 11:40:26 PM »
I have a couple questions here as I fumble through this rear track brake down. I have these smashed washer lockers stuck into the studs of the rear axle end by the brake drum. How do I safely get these things off without damaging the studs, and axle end plate? Is there some sort of trick here? I was lucky to get the two cone shaped ones out of the front axle on the top king pin plate. AlthoughI did destroy one of them. So if anyone knows where to get those kingpin cone shape lockers it would be greatly appreciated.

The other thing is 2 of the rear bogie hubs are 2 inches shorter on one side where the bogie meets the hub. It's very sharp and thin and I dont think it's normal. Is this excessive wear from the camber on the idler being off?

SgtKish

Re: How to get these stud locks off without damage to the axle?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 11:47:24 PM »
Pics

[attachment deleted by admin. sorry all images over 3000  kb where deleted automatically

steve1973

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 12:04:11 AM »
Hit the center of the axle with a 5 lb. Sledge repeatedly and the cone washers will come loose. That's how I did mine.

Steve A.

SgtKish

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 12:33:31 AM »
Noted...lol, but how about the rear brake drum area where these flat washers are stuck to the studs? They look like they are recessed a little into the cap. There is a small slit where I tried to pry them apart off the threads of the stud. Not working at all. Are these threaded on the stud like the cones are? Do you just smack the hell out of the axle cap with a sledge as well?

steve1973

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 06:36:18 AM »
Post a picture please so we know what you are talking about. Or email me the picture, htmotorpool@gmail.com.

Steve A.

woodwalker

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 08:27:40 AM »
If you are trying to remove the rear axles  from the shafts then they are cones you will need to hit the end cap like Steve has said. There are two threaded holes to run bolts down to put pressure  to remove the axle but I believe the washers should be loose or most of them to work.

Smadge

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 09:29:28 AM »
I had the same issue.  Like Steve A. and the book says: repeatedly hit the center with a mallet. Don't kill it, but about after 300 hits it should pop out.  Wire brush the ends and clean up the best you can before hitting away.  I thought mine was a lost cause and then it just popped out.

Good luck.

Paul
1941 M2-232 Autocar (restoring)
MVPA Member

SgtKish

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 10:47:01 AM »
I have been trying to send more pics because I had another question about these 2 rear bogie hubs, but for some reason I keep getting an error message,  or this page isn't working message. I tried maybe 40 times over 10 hrs...lol just to send another pic. I dont know what's going on with that. I will try cleaning and beating. That sounds like it's been working for everyone. Thank you everyone,  I'll keep you posted. .