Author Topic: M3a1 brake parts needed  (Read 520 times)

SgtKish

M3a1 brake parts needed
« on: December 08, 2018, 11:26:47 PM »
Does anyone have an idea on where I can find brake springs for the front and back. I also need one of the long pins that hold the brake pads in place. As well as one of the short pins on the bottom part of the pads. Their the pins that have a washer and little clamp on the end, and their roughly 3/8 at the base where they connect to the brake plate, and get thinner at the tip that goes through the pad about 1/4" bolt size.

SgtKish

Re: M3a1 brake parts needed
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 06:04:45 PM »
So would that be a no...lol. Ok, roger that.

Smadge

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »
I'm looking for the same items. I believe I found NAPA springs, but i have yet to order to see if they'll fit ok.

I'll keep you posted if i find anything.

Paul
1941 M2A1 Autocar (restoring)
MVPA# 36810E

steve1973

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 09:35:24 PM »
Check with Kevin Lockwood. Sounds like you need replacement brake backing plates. I'm not sure if those studs are replaceable. I could be wrong though.

Steve A.

SgtKish

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 12:18:48 AM »
Hey look like they have a square bit on the back to screw them out, but I haven't tried to take them out yet. I have been painting the frame getting ready for reassembly. I may just have to make it. I'll check with Napa on he springs. I took the manual in there for hem to look up part numbers for seals and such, and hey said they could do it. I have to get all my wheels and track back together. So ill check on grease seals as well. Thanks guys. Mark

col.halftrack

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 09:53:42 AM »
 I do not believe the pins are designed to be removed. They were pressed in and perhaps spot welded. I have most all brake parts. The springs are hard to find I may have a few take offs.
 I have most every seal for the half-trac vehicle. email for my list. To kplockwood@cox.net Take advantage of the winter sale.
1941 White M2
1942 White M4A1 was M4
1942 Autocar M2A1
1942 Autocar M3-75
1943 White M13 rebuilt as M16
1943 Diamond T M3A1

SgtKish

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 11:48:53 AM »
I see what you're saying now that I'm looking closer at it. The back if plate is too thin to be screwed into. I'm going to have to make the pins and weld them in. I would be interested in those seals, and many other parts to be honest . I rebuild many diff mil trucks but I'm new to tracks. I just retired from the army as an mechanized infantry dismount. So these trucks have got me hooked being the predecessor of the Bradley fighting vehicle. So I have 2 of these tracks now that I will be doin frame off restoration on, and I need a good parts guy. The one I have been dealing with just ripped me off a grand for shipping costs. I think everyone here probably knows the guy, but I let myself learn the hard way. Are these seals new double lip urethane rubber, or nos leather ?

bharr

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 06:58:40 PM »
For us newbie's, who is the ripoff guy?  PM if you don't want to publish it.  Thanks in advance.

warbirdrestorer

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 07:34:28 AM »
Hey Mark!
Come back to Idaho and go shopping. I have those two halftracks that had been cut in half and they have all the parts you need.
I know I am far away from you but if you want to fly out we will make you a pile and ship it back. I have those front bumper parts you need also.
Im sure everyone would like to see you again,

Mike

SgtKish

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 04:15:27 PM »
Ya I had a good time going out there , not so much on the 4200 mile round trip, lol but it was worth it for sure. I'm slowly figuring out avenues where to get parts for these tracks. It's just a slow process and I'm 100mph when I get moving on a project. I feel like I will be out your way again sometime in the future. You squared me away on these track projects and I appreciate that. See you again soon. Mark