Author Topic: Generator inside wiring  (Read 5557 times)

SgtKish

Generator inside wiring
« on: March 13, 2019, 01:36:45 PM »
I'm having an issue putting my generator back together. Hopefully this is a common since question to some one. I hooked the field wires up wrong and when I tested the gen it showed up as shorting out. I think I screwed up by attaching the 3 field wires to 3 separate brushes. I think 2 of those wires go on one brush, and the third field wire goes on another brush. If that's true, what brushes do these field wires attach? Across from each other, side by side? And two brushes have plastic insulator plates mounting on the bottom of the brush mounts, and the other two brush mounts have metal plates under them. Do these field wires only attach to the metal plate mounted brushes, or the plastic mounted ones. Hope that makes since. Please help...lol.

SgtKish

Re: Generator inside wiring
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 08:06:52 PM »
Roger that

mkoloc

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 05:44:32 PM »
Rebuilding my generator right now … three separate brushes get those wires attached to them as I documented my wiring as I stripped my brush plate down .. leaving one set without any field wire.  My generator has not been touched since my M16A2 went thru its depot rebuild in 52. Ill post some pics tomorrow if that will help.
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
Cell:  715-821-9426
MVPA # 31144

SgtKish

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 11:46:09 PM »
I just now seen someone replied to my post. I thought it was too dumb of a question and no one wanted to reply...lol. So thank you. Im still fighting with this thing. I have the 3 wires hooked up to 3 different brushes, but I wasn't sure if it mattered what 3 brushes it hooks up to because it still grounds out I think. For some reason I feel like 2 of the wires hook up to the same brush. Is it possible that these 3 field wires only hook up to 2 brushes across from eachother?

SgtKish

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 07:20:48 PM »
Ok, so I got the answer to my question. It only cost me $450 to buy a new one just to see how its wired. Im sure everyone aready knows this but im going to put it in writing here. There are 2 Armature wires that go across from each other. So with the armature post sticking straight up at the 12 o'clock position looking at the back of the generator. The 2 armature wires go with one at the 9 o'clock  position brush, and the other at the 3 o'clock position brush. The brush at the 6 has nothing but the 2 brush wires, and the field post has 1 wire. That wire goes in between the 2 armature wire brushes at the 12 o'clock position brush. So there you go, sometimes the price of education is steep.   

mkoloc

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 03:15:17 PM »
Thank you for posting this info!
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
Cell:  715-821-9426
MVPA # 31144