Author Topic: Engine Sitting  (Read 376 times)

R.E.Co.

Engine Sitting
« on: May 26, 2019, 08:56:18 PM »
Ok this is a question of been dreading to ask because I don't want to bare the truth if it happened to mine... i was told flat 6 engines of any kind do not like sitting and tend to get stuck after sitting just alittle while.  I was told the room the valves have in the engine are much more tight then an OHV thus frequently get stuck after sitting which can lead to the engine seizing.  Any truth behind these rumors? I think its been two years since I've started my track since its been in restoration.  It may just be my overly cautious side seeping out haha.

Jon
1941 White M2 Halftrack

Outsider

Re: Engine Sitting
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 04:40:55 AM »
2 years sitting outside exposed to the weather is probably not a good thing, but I am guessing that yours is not sitting out exposed to the weather and it normally takes more than 2 years for an engine to set up. If you are worried about it i would just take the coil wire off and crank it over a little bit before you try and start it to help get the oil moving around before it fires.

Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

8683jb

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 08:55:04 AM »
I hadn’t heard about a flathead engine being any more susceptible to sitting than an OHV engine, but I’d top off the water and make sure there’s oil on the dipstick, pull the plugs and shoot a little light oil or WD-40 in the cylinders and then as Steve said, turn it over and get things moving around and limbered up again. It may or may not turn fast enough to show a little oil pressure on the gauge as it is spinning. Once you’re sure all is well, replace the plugs and start it. Keep an eye on the oil pressure. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Jon
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

yd328

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 03:14:01 PM »
In addition to what has already been mentioned you can also turn it over manually first with the spark plugs out. Also, put oil into the oil filter housing.

Gary

R.E.Co.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 09:01:46 PM »
Thanks guys!
1941 White M2 Halftrack

Cleprechaun

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 03:12:31 AM »
I think that stuck flat heads occur because the previous owner gives up on the beast when he blows a head gasket. The next owner (years later) gets a rusted stuck motor.