Author Topic: Rear axle wedge-lock washer removal?  (Read 155 times)

8683jb

Rear axle wedge-lock washer removal?
« on: June 03, 2019, 01:14:53 PM »
While the tracks are off, I want to replace the axle seals and rebuild the brake wheel cylinders. Are there any tips to getting the wedge-lock washers on the rear axle flanges to free up? I’ve beat on the end of the axle a reasonable amount, but they don’t show any signs of popping loose. I thought I had read a discussion about it on here, but now I can’t find anything. Thanks.
Jon
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

Smadge

Re: Rear axle wedge-lock washer removal?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 01:19:34 PM »
Jon,

Keep beating it in the middle with in rhythmic manner.  You don't have to kill it, but put a bit of force behind it and it will pop out.

Paul
1941 M2A1 Autocar (restoring)
MVPA# 36810E

8683jb

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 01:55:16 PM »
That did it...bigger hammer. Thanks Paul!
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

R.E.Co.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 03:29:38 PM »
Mine were tricky too. Just be persistent! Sometimes taking a break and going back the next day when they somehow break free, works.  If I remember correctly, I took at big screw driver and got in between the drive shaft and the hub assembly, the seem where they meet.  Couple taps there with a few taps back on the end of the drive shaft popped those collars loose. Good luck, hopefully this helps! 
1941 White M2 Halftrack

Ma Deuce

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 03:32:37 PM »
There are 2 threaded holes in cap to put bolts in to help pull. With that pressure and some love taps should come off
Mike
INMVPA
1948 Willy’s CJ 2A
1953 Willy’s CJ 3A
1947 Bantom T3-C trailer
1943 White M3A1

8683jb

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 03:35:51 PM »
They're both off - just needed more massaging with a larger club. I just didn't want to beat on them any more until I checked with others who have been there. Thank you guys.
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

Outsider

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 09:05:23 PM »
5lb sledge to the end of the axle will normally get them to loosen up. Just make sure you don't hit the studs! Then there is a special tool that is used to get them to come off the studs easily. They are hard to find in stores anymore, but you can make your own tool out of a pair of pliers. Leave one of the jaws as it comes from the factory. On the other jaw use a grinder and form a wedge to it so it will go into the little slit in the side of the wedge and pry it open when you squeeze the pliers with the factory jaw on the other side of the wedge.

Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!