Author Topic: Tank Clean Out  (Read 2156 times)

Captain Crank

Tank Clean Out
« on: October 27, 2010, 07:09:55 AM »
One of my OEM fuel tank has ruptured it's inner liner and is now contaminated with a lot of virgin rubber.

I am looking for suggestions as to how to clean this mess out.

The steel is sound and exterior covering intact, baking would ruin the outside.

Short of wrapping myself in a decontamination suit and scooping it out with a spatula are there any other good ideas?

Thanks,

CC

steve-0

• Administrator
Re: Tank Clean Out
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 11:07:26 AM »
i dont have any good ideas for you except maybe  turning it upside down and sticking a pressure washer in it. if you do manage it get it cleaned out enough and are going to try using a fuel tank sealer ebay sells a bunch of different brands. i tried "POR 15" sealer in my quad mount generator fuel tank and it worked good but POR 15 puts a very thin coating in the tank, some other brands put a thick coating.

Captain Crank

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:50:18 AM »
The steel tank itself is good and has no issues.
You think I need to use something like POR 15 to protect against rust once the rubber is cleaner out?
Both tanks were mint until the ******* fuels we use deteriorated the inner liner that held the self-sealing virgin rubber in place.
Fortunately only one tank has been used.
Not sure a pressure washer will remove that rubber.
I need a solvent to dissolve it.
Probably end up using gas and blow myself up.

It wouldn't run any more and here's why......

steve-0

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 10:11:32 AM »
thats interesting. i thought the selfsealing stuff was only on the outside of the tank. all the tanks i have are so old they are not worth messing with. i do remember when using the fuel tank sealer, they mention that if you want to remove old tank liner to use methylethylketone. i dont know if it will work with what you have there. good luck.