Author Topic: Half track redeems itself in snow  (Read 3563 times)

cpetronis

Half track redeems itself in snow
« on: February 13, 2011, 09:54:27 AM »
     After the last time I took the M3A1 out in the snow and got stuck I held my head in shame. Thanks to my Dad's overconfidence in the abilities of 4 wheel drive on his plow truck I can say:

Used truck =                     $11,000

Snow plow =                     $1,025

Watching Dad's face as I
effortlessly yanked him out
of a snow bank  =              Priceless

This worked out well for me because Dad usually complains at least once per year about me keeping the track in his barn over the winter. This should stop the complaining for at least one month or so. I was also sort of shocked by how our John Deere couldn't pull the truck out either. Even in 4 wheel drive the tractor immediately lost traction and so was useless in this case.

Tapper02

Re: Half track redeems itself in snow
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 07:51:26 PM »
Any thoughts on why you had better traction today vice when you took out the fence?  Flat ground versus sloped?  Did going in reverse change anything?

Just curious.

-Tom
1944 Autocar M15A1 (M16A1) Halftrack
  (Being restored to an M3A1 configuration)
  Serial Number M-15 A 1, 1356
  Model M-16 A 1, Ord Serial Number 1106
1944 Schelm Bros. M10 Ammunition Trailer
  Serial Number 16959
MVPA # 30507

cpetronis

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 05:54:32 AM »
Hello Tom,

Well, I think I had two things in my favor last Saturday. Yes, I was on flat ground. That must've helped matters to a large degree. Secondly it was much colder last weekend than when I got stuck. I think that sometimes as it gets warm out and the snow begins to melt, it seems to be extra slippery. When it's mind numbingly cold the snow actually acts a bit sticky. Saturday wasn't freeze the snot in your nose cold but it was only in the mid 20's.

Regards,

Chris

col.halftrack

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »
 I thought I might share a couple of snow stories.
 When I began the search for my first halftrack, I knew I had to find one fairly close and priced right. I would ask every customer that came into my parts store. One fellow I asked said he had ridden to school in a neighbor's halftrack many times. Whenever they got a big snowfall the farmer would come by and pickup several kids so that they could make it in to school. He did not know if the track was still there but gave me the guys name.
 I did buy this halftrack and the farmer said that the only trouble he had was in deep snow the front axle would tend to snowplow through the drifts until the halftrack bogged down. He would then turn around and walk over the piled snow in reverse. He also volunteered to feed cattle with the halftrack for his neighbors when they could not reach their herd. I removed the feederbox from the halftrack when I purchased it.
 I have used my halftracks in snow several times to pull out motorists who have slid off the county road near my place.

1941 White M2
1942 White M4A1 was M4
1942 Autocar M2A1
1942 Autocar M3-75
1943 White M13 rebuilt as M16
1943 Diamond T M3A1

Tapper02

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 11:29:46 AM »
Thanks Chris...I guess the temp would make a big difference too.

Great story Col.  Can't wait to get mine out in the snow...maybe next year!

-Tom
1944 Autocar M15A1 (M16A1) Halftrack
  (Being restored to an M3A1 configuration)
  Serial Number M-15 A 1, 1356
  Model M-16 A 1, Ord Serial Number 1106
1944 Schelm Bros. M10 Ammunition Trailer
  Serial Number 16959
MVPA # 30507