Author Topic: PTO main gear removal  (Read 160 times)

SgtKish

PTO main gear removal
« on: November 26, 2019, 06:09:31 PM »
I keep getting a load whine noise from the trans/PTO area when I take my foot off the clutch. I rebuilt the PTO and Trans except for 2 bearings. One on the PTO main shaft that holds the gear that meshes against the transmission  when you install it. The other is on the trans top shaft that I believe was the first bearing closest to the front. Its the bearing that is a bit of a pain to press off. That's mainly why I left it alone, that and it didn't look bad at all. Well im starting on the PTO to see if that's the noise maker, but I want to make sure I take this shaft out the right way before I start drilling and screwing this thing up. that shaft looks like a flathead screwdriver head on one end, but I cant get it to budge. it loos like a 3/8 size pin smashed into the housing on the gasket service preventing the large shaft from moving maybe. its indented like it was pinged in with a hammer. My question is how do I get that small pin out, or does it even need to come out? It looks like I don't need to take this whole PTO apart again. the shaft should come out and I can just change that one main bearing. Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Thanks, Mark

mfrance

Re: PTO main gear removal
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 10:02:10 PM »
Before you tear it all apart...  do you have the right amount of gasket shims on PTO to check lash and make sure it's not staying engaged or binding...

SgtKish

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 01:38:38 AM »
oh no. I don't have the manual on the PTO. I didt know it needed shims. Are we talking at the gasket face? when I took it off the trans while rebuilding everything it didn't have any shims there. So I just cleaned it up, put in all new bearings except that main outer gear. they all looked rusty and bad, but this one looked sealed pretty good and didn't sound bad or move rough. So I left it in, that and because the bearing kit I bought had the wrong size bearing for that one. So I risked it and left it alone. It meshes tight against that trans gear when installed. So im pretty sure it always stays engaged. it only engages the actual winch when you move the winch handle frd, or rev. well that's the way it looks to me. Does it normally make a load hum noise when you activate the winch? Then stop when the winch goes back to neutral? I looked under the truck while running and making this noise and I didn't see any of the PTO shafts moving. How and what do I check for the back lash?   

SgtKish

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »
does anyone have a source for the pto manual so I can try to figure this issue out?

mfrance

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 01:31:05 PM »
Shims are gaskets... between pto and transmission
Dont want it tight as it howls or wont disengage on pto...

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/pto-lash-setting.26605/
Here is a general version on a regular vehicle

SgtKish

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 05:14:45 PM »
thanks for that link. Any idea on an estimate of total combined shim thickness to start with to achieve this.006-.012 backlash? One guy on that link you sent says he gets away wit .018 backlash. I would like to keep it around .009 or so if that's around the middle of what the manual is talking about. Plus how do I get this pin out on the gasket surface to release the main shaft to change the bearings since I have it out? Do I just drill this pin out, and does that pin go all the way through the shaft or just a small impression ? Thanks Mark