Author Topic: M2 blackout light  (Read 158 times)

p3aflyer

M2 blackout light
« on: November 30, 2019, 10:43:59 AM »
Does anyone know when they started to install blackout lights on the early m2s?  The ones that mounted on the radiator.   I’m curious if they would have put them on straight m2s versus a converted M2A1,  during rebuild?   I haven't seen any original war time photos of skate rail m2s having fender lights and a radiator mounted blackout light.
Does Anyone have any info on this?   

Selliott

Re: M2 blackout light
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 11:11:58 PM »
Great question!  We are building our wiring harness right now and there is no wire in the M2 diagram so we thought it might be an addition with the A1 upgrades???  Our was definitely an M2 converted later and it has the driving light and bracket on the side of the radiator with fender mounted headlights....

Shon
1941 Autocar M2 #13
MVPA
WWII Living Historian

R.E.Co.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 01:47:17 PM »
Great question!  We are building our wiring harness right now and there is no wire in the M2 diagram so we thought it might be an addition with the A1 upgrades???  Our was definitely an M2 converted later and it has the driving light and bracket on the side of the radiator with fender mounted headlights....

Shon

Same thought as above. I have black out lights on the fender but not on the radiator.

Jon
1941 White M2

steve1973

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 07:44:29 PM »
The black out driving light mounted to the side of the radiator was only implemented on M2 halftracks with fender mounted headlights. This was an add on item. This was not done at the factory from what I can tell. Also, very few M2 halftracks had this item. Most halftracks that were converted to A1 also had the headlights changed unless it was a field mod conversion. The A1 refers to the addition of the pulpit, nothing else. But with that said pedestal lights, mine racks and luggage racks were some other improvements made. I think by the time the A1's debuted shielded ignition had been replaced by resistance ignition and capacitance noise suppression. In the back of David Doyle's volume 1 halftrack book is the wiring diagram for this blackout light.

sorry for the sideways photo.

Steve A.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:53:52 PM by steve1973 »