Author Topic: Rebuilding the Generator?  (Read 421 times)

Hammerhead

Rebuilding the Generator?
« on: March 13, 2020, 07:57:29 PM »
My generator has slowly but steadily lost it's ability to charge the battery over the last two years.  I finally bit the bullet and removed it and took it into the place that rebuilt my CCKW starter and generator.  They said they think the Armature has gone bad but they couldn't find any place to find replacement parts.  Anyone had any luck finding the parts??

Hammerhead

Re: Rebuilding the Generator?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 01:25:22 PM »
NO ONE has had their Generator rebuilt?

Darth_Kitten

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 02:17:27 PM »
I think Kevin offers a rebuild service.

Smadge

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 03:42:14 PM »
Kevin rebuilt mine.
1941 M2 Autocar (restoring)
MVPA# 36810E

Scott

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 03:43:09 PM »
What parts are you looking for?

A NOS armature for sale on eBay in Belgium from https://philippejeep.com/index.html

eBay listing - https://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/Half-track-G147-G102-Generator-Armature-NOS/123737559593?hash=item1ccf555229:g:jScAAOSwBV5aeMV4

I have found that parts are near impossible to find, so I resorted to buying a NOS generator and using the original non working generator as a source for spare parts. Not the ideal solution I know, but you do what you can with what is available.

Hammerhead

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 06:42:17 AM »
Scott, Thank you so much for the heads up about the Armature on Ebay.  I just purchased one!!

As for Kevin, I spoke with him around 3 weeks ago, he was going to check on parts availability. Since then I have called him 6-7 times and he hasn't answered nor called me back on the numbers I've left.

mkoloc

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 06:46:40 PM »
Rebuilt mine, but after a thorough clean up (bearings, field coils etc) and turning down the armature,  just had to replace the brushes.  Did a bench test by using a heavy duty set of jumper cables.  Here's how: Attach your negative cable (-black in my case) to the negative post on a charged 12 volt battery (6 volt battery if it's a 6 volt generator) and clip the other end of that cable on the the generator case.  I used the mounting points on the halftrack generator.  Attach the positive jumper cable (+red in my case) to the positive battery post and touch the other end to the armature post on the generator for a few seconds.  If your generator is rebuilt correctly it will spin like a motor and you've now bench tested your generator. On the case of my halftrack generator, I have the original shields in place, so I used a heavy duty screwdriver clipped into the positive cable clamp and touched the tip of the screwdriver on the armature bolt.  DON'T HIT THE SHEILD WITH THE TIP, BECAUSE IF YOU DO, YOU'LL BE WELDING!!
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
Cell:  715-821-9426