Author Topic: Found a Halftrack - help me on value  (Read 1016 times)

big44maghunter

Found a Halftrack - help me on value
« on: May 03, 2020, 12:02:42 PM »
I was cruising some back roads this weekend to get some halftrack parts and am always scanning the area for anything interesting.  I saw a lot of cool things and stopped to look at several.  I noticed a couple old classic cars for sale along the road and stopped to look at them.  To my surprise, hidden from my view was an International halftrack!  I'm going to call the place tomorrow to inquire about it but looking for anyone's opinion on value.  I know they are different than the rest but this is pretty complete.  I see a good portion of the rear armor laying on the bed.  Looks like it has the original bed too.
Of course no info on running but since it has sunk into the ground I'm assuming it is not.  I also was not able to open the hood, so just assuming the powertrain is there.  The interior looked pretty much complete also.
Thanks
Brad

WayOffTrack

Re: Found a Halftrack - help me on value
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 06:21:56 PM »
I think that armor laying in the back is not the side armor, kinda looks like M15 turret armor, if so, rare! The halftrack I think I saw for sale on the east coast 3 or 4 years ago. It's got a lot of potential.

big44maghunter

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 06:53:09 PM »
Looks like perimeter rail and corner gussets on the steel laying on the back.

WayOffTrack

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 11:51:27 AM »
Hard to really put a number on it without knowing the engine condition and lots more pictures of the under the hood, the interior and the frame condition. When I saw it for sale before I think they were asking north of 10k or expecting that at the auction. I did find the post on here from 2017 but the pictures were gone.

steve1973

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 12:00:08 PM »
First thing to mention is it is an International. Very hard to get parts for especially here in the US. Armor is different as with all the drive train and axles. BAIV in the Netherlands is your best bet for parts for this thing. Your better off getting a White, Autocar or Diamond-T. Most parts on all three are interchangeable. Just my 2 cents.

Steve A.

mfrance

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 12:52:15 AM »
Be different and go for it.   The halftrack world will definitely come together and source parts and knowledge for you around the world...

spillmk1

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 05:31:00 AM »
Needs a BIT of work....but she needs to run again!!!
Big difference between building a runner vs a "perfect" museum piece.
A lot of good parts there.

Keith

1955 M38A1
1952 M100
1941 M2A1
MVPA Member

Ma Deuce

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 02:16:01 PM »
The sign in the second photo says it all
YOU give it a new life
Mike
INMVPA
1948 Willy’s CJ 2A
1953 Willy’s CJ 3A
1947 Bantom T3-C trailer
1943 White M3A1

big44maghunter

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 07:02:14 PM »
No deal, I did talk to the guy but he wasn't selling.  Although some day it will be for sale,  I guarantee.  He got it for a vfw that closed down before they did anything with it.  I don't think he'll ever do anything to it.  Sounds like it was the one auctioned off a few years ago.  Has all the original drive components and said it turned over at the auction.  But as stated, that was several years ago.  I think it would make a great restoration candidate.  I believe the steel on the back included all the curved steel for the back.  Everything else would be easy to make.

Hammerhead

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 06:41:28 AM »
I've run into situations like this on several occasions over the years.  A person has a HMV and they won't sale it under any circumstances.  They would prefer to let it sit out in the weather and rust away instead of a chance for restoration and a second life.  I've seen this happen with a beautiful CCKW, "not for sale; it was my dead husband's truck".  A nice WC 52 " no it looks good sitting in my front yard".  And a nice DUKW that the owner said he was "going to restore" as I watched it sit uncovered for 20+ years!  That Halftrack will also probably sit for years and nothing done with it.

big44maghunter

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 07:03:44 AM »
I read it the same way.  You'd think if you cared anything about it, you would at least put a tarp over it!  Luckily these are pretty resilient and this one had a roof so the inside was protected.   I figure I have several more years of projects anyway.  I'm keeping his info and I'm going to check back on it in the future.