Author Topic: M16 halftrack in chicagoland region  (Read 396 times)

RK1944

M16 halftrack in chicagoland region
« on: August 02, 2020, 12:47:11 PM »
Hello all,
I am at the stage of the restoration where I am testing the balistic capabilities of the armor with my forhead. I am looking for someone  within a couple hour drive of chicago with an m16 ht with the fold down armor and rear plate intact that might let me take a couple measurements, I can compensate for time. Or if someone can make a good drawing. Basically the geometry of the fold downs is proving dificult to get right on the the computer. I eneded up making the large rear plate as well and was able to find the bolt holes where it mounts to the body but the holes for the bucket bracket, storage boxes and the spare barrel holder on the inside are not being friendly. The rest of the vehicle is pretty much done so maybe i will have specs someone else may need?

mkoloc

Re: M16 halftrack in chicagoland region
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 12:28:40 PM »
I live in Cincinnati and have a complete and original M16A2 .. fold down armor etc .. you are welcome to visit, measure etc.  My contact info is in my signature.

Mark
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
Cell:  715-821-9426

mkoloc

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 08:32:12 AM »
Ryan, enjoyed our visit last week and it was certainly a pleasure to meet you in person!  Your enthusiasm for halftrack restoration is refreshing given your youth and capabilities and you are truly the torch bearer for the next generation!  Anything I can do to help, you need only ask. 

To the members of this forum, Ryan is clearly the youngest enthusiast (20 ish) I've meet to date, who is looking to make a career out of halftrack restoration.  Any help we collectively can offer Ryan (RK1944) is not only the prudent thing to do, but clearly demonstrate our commitment to the next generation of halftrack enthusiast, those who follow in our footsteps.

My primary goal with the African Queen Project (nonprofit) is to create interest with the current generation regards halftracks and military vehicles overall.  This population is our future, and frankly anything I can do to generate interest in high school aged students regards getting involved with any kind of military collector organization is my primary goal.  I know that there many of you out there feel the same way and thank you in advance for your enthusiastic support.

Thanks for listening to the COL and his soapbox!
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
Cell:  715-821-9426

spec4don

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 09:13:46 PM »
Mark, its awesome what you are doing! The help received from this forum has been invaluable.

Ryan if you end up with a CAD drawing of the upper armor zi need that for my up coming M16 A2 project, willing to pay for it! 

Thanks

Don G.
1941 M2A1 not restored
1942 M3 Diamond T Mostly restored
1943 M3A1 Under restoration
1967 M51A2 Tractor
1945 WC 63 needs restoration
1967 M36 Long wheel base duece
1951 M135 GMC Fire truck conversion

Monkeypirate

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 04:56:35 AM »
If there is some one on here with a M-16 that is willing to post dimensions I will draw the plates up in CAD. I do it as a hobby just for my projects but I usually have more then enough time to get simple plates turned out in a week.

brit plumber

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 08:07:18 AM »
I have a few bits of M16 armour not installed. I think it’s front left wall, rear right wall, M16A2 rear Door and M16A2 rear to the left of the door. Only problem is the side armour was cut and rewelded so may not be accurate. Happy to measure though if you want.