Author Topic: Head Gasket for a White HT  (Read 1312 times)

mkoloc

Re: Head Gasket for a White HT
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2020, 10:03:36 PM »
Thanks Rob, I was motivated several years ago by a gent named Kevin Kronland who has since passed .. got to ride in his M16 right after I got mine home and before I started on that project... the assistance and support I've recieved over the years from others on these forums and in the collector community has been motivating beyond description like the two phone calls I recieved today from Jon B and Steve A regards starting on my trany project. 

I have a pretty decent idea of what I'll need to do to replace my clutch if I can't adjust it enough to address the slippage, but it's motivating to chat with others who have already been there and to be able to validate the process and get clarification on a few things that for myself aren't exactly clear when going thru the manual.  It's like having a team of mechanics or subject matter experts working on the project with you and does a lot to relieve that nagging bit of anxiety that sometimes comes from doing something for the 1st time.
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
Cell:  715-821-9426

coreyelliott

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2020, 01:24:00 PM »
Hi Mark,

In regards to the adjustment of your clutch.  I'm assuming you're referring to turning the adjustment ring on the clutch itself.  If that's the case, there is a chance the ring doesn't want to turn without some persuasion. An air hammer/air chisel is your best friend!  We couldn't get ours to turn and my ex-diesel mechanic father-in-law told me that is what they had to use on all of the big rigs.

Corey
1941 Autocar M2A1 (M2-13)

steve1973

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2020, 06:18:15 PM »
Hi Mark,

In regards to the adjustment of your clutch.  I'm assuming you're referring to turning the adjustment ring on the clutch itself.  If that's the case, there is a chance the ring doesn't want to turn without some persuasion. An air hammer/air chisel is your best friend!  We couldn't get ours to turn and my ex-diesel mechanic father-in-law told me that is what they had to use on all of the big rigs.

Corey

As per the manual you need to have someone pressing down on the clutch pedal and the other person turns the clutch disc. It turns easier that way. ;) ;D

Steve A.

coreyelliott

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2020, 01:45:02 PM »
What Steve said is so very true!  But ours still wouldn’t budge.  ;D

Corey

mkoloc

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2020, 06:54:58 PM »
Pulled my access plate tonight and just happened to have an adjustment ring opening (?) almost sitting at the access plate opening.  Per the attached pics, I don't see a locking plate or bolt between the lugs on the adjusting ring  ..so I'm assuming that there must be more than one opening in the cluster and one of those openings as I rotate the cluster to the opening will reveal the bolt and locking ring lock.

Is that a fair assumption or do I have a hybrid clutch locking ring  ;D !!

Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103

steve1973

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2020, 07:03:50 PM »
You need to turn the clutch. You will see a bolt holding a flat piece of metal holding it in place. Tap the start button, but keep switch off to rotate engine. Helps with two people for this.

Steve A.

coreyelliott

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2020, 07:50:30 PM »
What Steve said.  You're 180 degrees out.  The matching slot (or at least very similar) has a bolt holding on a lug that needs to be removed.

Corey

mkoloc

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2020, 05:58:42 AM »
That's what I figured..just wanted to validate it  ;)
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103

mkoloc

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2020, 07:29:06 PM »
All right, clutch adjusted .. space between throwout bearing and spring face was roughly 1/4 " .  Adjusted out to approx 3/8+" .  Everything shifted smoothly as it sat idling and the clutch pedal was more even regards movement.  Will take her out for a spin this weekend weather permitting to test out the clutch.
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103

mkoloc

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2020, 08:51:28 PM »
Well, I will need to replace my clutch  ::)  But at least I have it figured out, and it feels good to at finally have the engine running so smoothly.  In retrospect, it would be so much different if I was restoring her instead of working this as a preservation project. I could tear her down to the frame and go from there.  But the loss of history, her patina and scars earned thru four conflicts on as many continents would be a disservice to everything she represents and I knew when I recovered her in Africa in 2006,  that preservation was going to be my only course of action.  It's all good!!
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103