Author Topic: Wheels  (Read 2775 times)

brit plumber

Wheels
« on: August 12, 2020, 06:37:10 AM »
My project should be arriving tomorrow and the seller has sent me some extra photos. In the photos it shows 2 different wheels, can anyone tell me which is correct? I suspect it could be an early V later issue but can someone confirm? Which would be more appropriate and which would be easier to locate?
1942 VEP GPW

IPCO

Re: Wheels
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 06:47:57 AM »
My Autocar and White both have the same as pictured on top. Can't speak to the proper one but that is a pretty cool tread pattern on the tire.
1942 Autocar M2
1943  Diamond T M3
1942 White M2A1

judyron

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 07:56:18 AM »
Keith,
Look in the Forum section on wheels and tires and I think you will get an answer to your questions.  As for which can be found easier, neither one is that easy to find.  Good reason why there is a mix on a lot of Halftracks. 

Ron McAfee

brit plumber

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 12:48:38 PM »
It looks like they could both be correct but I need to check dimensions when I’ve removed them. I would prefer a matched pair so I’ll have to see what I find.

I did notice in most photos I’ve looked at, the solid ones appear mostly IH and the holed type on the White and AC. I also noticed one of the bogie wheels is definitely unserviceable with a big chunk of rubber missing.
1942 VEP GPW

steve1973

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 01:05:43 PM »
Looking at the bottom photo the wheel is sporting 9.00 X 20 tires. You will want to change then out to the correct 8.25 X 20 or you will have problems. I'm  assuming that it is not an International halftrack, correct?

Steve A.

brit plumber

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 01:17:07 AM »
That’s correct, it’s a Whites. I’ll be putting new tires and tracks on it and hopefully a matching wheel one way or the other. There’s a long way to go before it needs tires, when it arrives I’ll start a thread with lots of photos so people can tell me what’s missing, what’s incorrect and any mods that’s were done in service. One side of the hood still has a number stencilled on it but I’m not sure if that’s it’s USA registration number or something else.
1942 VEP GPW

mkoloc

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 02:20:45 PM »
Your second pic is a Michelin Invincible solid rubber combat tire used by the French starting in 1954.  It is heavy as he!! so be careful when removing the wheel off the track.  Are your hood number remnants painted on the top of your side hood armor?  If so,  your track was possibly French.  Could you post a pic of your hood number when you get the opportunity?
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
Cell:  715-821-9426
MVPA # 31144

brit plumber

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 09:08:32 AM »
There’s a very good chance it is ex French Army. It’s still green so not seem much civvy service but has been sat for a long time somewhere. The numbers are indeed on the hood and look European and not US. I’ll have access to it to night or tomorrow to start taking photos and making notes. One thing I am sure of is that it’s very rusty!
1942 VEP GPW

Cleprechaun

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 11:44:21 AM »
I sold a wheel to a guy who had the same mismatch problem. I think it was “big44maghunter”, but I’m not sure. Maybe you guys can swap. At the time I found several pictures of that top wheel on very early halftracks.

mkoloc

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 08:25:13 PM »
Here is a pic of my hood.  You can just make out the French hood numbers ...821201 ..also pics of my 1954 French Combat Tires/ run flats  :D .. the outer rubber is cracked after sitting in the desert for 50+ years but the inner red colored tire is in excellent condition.. a company with a US government contract actually paid to take a core sample of the inner tire several years ago.  They wanted to determine the composition as the inner tire had stood up so well.

Looking forward to pics of your beast!

Mark

Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
Cell:  715-821-9426
MVPA # 31144

brit plumber

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 05:02:58 AM »
Thanks for the photos, I’ve been looking at your track with interest. It turns out my track is ex French, the previous owner confirmed he purchased it 8 years ago from a farmer who purchased it from the Armed French Police who were given it by the French Army. The numbers look like USMC and are only 5 digits long, it would be nice if it was but what are the chances?????

1942 VEP GPW