Author Topic: African Queen Clutch Project  (Read 8662 times)

RB-058

Re: African Queen Clutch Project
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2020, 02:15:29 PM »
Great video again Mark!  Enjoyed it!  And it gave me a idea how the li lage look like inbetween the pto lever and the pto. Mine is missing and now I now how it looks like! Makes the search so much easier! Pulled my transmission last week so it was a feast of recognition!

Rob
1943 White Halftrack M4A1
1944 White Halftrack M16

mkoloc

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2020, 09:14:20 AM »
Cory, it came back looking like new!  $34 @ Dayton Clutch, Dayton OH.
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
Cell:  715-821-9426
MVPA # 31144

mkoloc

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2020, 09:19:34 AM »
Ok, have my trany up and in, used a alignment tool for clutch etc.,  but I can't seem to close the gap of approx 1/2 inch between trany and bell housing!!
Is that normal?  Do I just need to use a few longer bolts (temporary) to close the gap?  Was thinking it just might be the shaft trying to fit into the new pilot bearing.  Any and all advise appreciated.
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
MVPA # 31144

autocar925

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2020, 10:08:21 AM »
I've never installed the trans on a HT, but in general, never ever try to pull a trans into place by cranking on the bolts.  You are guaranteed to break something.  There is a reason it's not going in and brute force is not the answer.  I've found that even though an alignment tool is used, sometimes the clutch disc is still not perfectly centered and the input shaft pilot doesn't line up with the pilot bearing in the crankshaft.  In some cases, you can put guide bolts in place of the trans bolts and depress the clutch while wiggling the trans and it will slide in.  I don't know if this is possible with the HT.  I usually dry fit all the parts together before assembling and installing the trans because sometimes the parts don't like each other and it's better to find out before you try installing the trans. 

brit plumber

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2020, 11:52:38 AM »
Was the bushing reamed to size after fitting?

Also try turning the engine manually just a little bit and try again. If that doesn’t work, turn the engine a little more and try again. If that doesn’t work I’m out of ideas.
1942 VEP GPW

mkoloc

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2020, 12:07:01 PM »
All good ..l just used a couple of longer bolts and it pulled right up ...BP, your suggestions would have been my next move :) .. anyway I have company that just arrived for the weekend, so transfercase and PTO will have to wait thru the weekend ...
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
MVPA # 31144

mkoloc

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2020, 07:05:40 PM »
Company left early today so I cleaned up and painted zerk and oil fittings.  Installed PTO, clutch linkage, timing cover and moved transfer case into position to install tomorrow.  Pic of afternoons progress:

Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
MVPA # 31144

coreyelliott

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2020, 08:38:58 PM »
Mark,  just watched your latest transmission video.  Great work as always!  I'm always looking forward to watch the videos you post.

I have a question.  In the video you mention setting your original clutch setting (where you remove the holder and spin the large adjusting ring to adjust the spacing).  I've looked at other posts and read and reread the manuals many times and it still doesn't make sense to me.  Can you explain it in your own words?  I know there are clearances (3/8', 1/2"?) but I'm just not 100% sure where to make that measurement.  I don't think our clutch is ideally adjusted and a verification measurement would sure make me feel better.

Thanks!

Corey
1941 Autocar M2A1 (M2-13)

mkoloc

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2020, 08:29:55 PM »
Corey,  when I had the pressure plate apart I adjusted the ring down....after removing the snap ring and the 2 C clips that hold the throw out bearing shaft in, I pulled the springs (fingers) and both coil springs out .. I adjusted the ring (according to the manual) to the point that it was 1/2  inch below the top of the casting that holds the pressure plate clutch facing (the one that mounts to the pressure plate with 4 springs) that is supposed to be lowest setting for the ring on a new clutch. I noticed that when I did that, the adjusting ring was bottomed out in the pressure plate.  Acording to the manual, this setting for a new clutch will save some ass pain regards clutch adjustment.  I'm going to take my track out for a test run this weekend to test it out, especially the clutch adjustment .. will update my progress.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 08:38:37 PM by mkoloc »
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
MVPA # 31144

mkoloc

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2020, 08:40:54 PM »
Complete except for floor pans.

Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
MVPA # 31144

mkoloc

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2020, 12:34:53 AM »
Did not get out for a drive today, but backed her out of and back into the shop and the clutch felt great! Just wanted to thank all of you who offered to borrow me an alignment tool!  The one that Paul sent was perfect regards lining up the clutch and pressure plate for install, and trying to do the trany install without one would be very challenging!

We are looking to transport on Oct 26 to the museum so lots of little stuff to finish up.  Am not going to display my real weapons so I ordered some display weapons from IMA.  2 Carbines, 2 Garrands, and a Thompson.  Will snap some pics when they arrive and will do a critique as they are metal and wood and the actions are supposed to function.

Mark
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
MVPA # 31144

coreyelliott

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2020, 01:22:46 PM »
Corey,  when I had the pressure plate apart I adjusted the ring down....after removing the snap ring and the 2 C clips that hold the throw out bearing shaft in, I pulled the springs (fingers) and both coil springs out .. I adjusted the ring (according to the manual) to the point that it was 1/2  inch below the top of the casting that holds the pressure plate clutch facing (the one that mounts to the pressure plate with 4 springs) that is supposed to be lowest setting for the ring on a new clutch. I noticed that when I did that, the adjusting ring was bottomed out in the pressure plate.  Acording to the manual, this setting for a new clutch will save some ass pain regards clutch adjustment.  I'm going to take my track out for a test run this weekend to test it out, especially the clutch adjustment .. will update my progress.

Thank you for the info!  Every bit of advice and information I get helps paint a better picture.

Corey
1941 Autocar M2A1 (M2-13)