Author Topic: Cab floor pan  (Read 2982 times)

brit plumber

Cab floor pan
« on: September 03, 2020, 09:02:06 AM »
How difficult is it to obtain the chequer plate cab floors, brackets and supports? My floor is pretty much entirely shot. I would guess someone took the doors which left the cab open to the elements and dirt/debris. This in turn has held moisture allowing the floors to rot. Even the Louvre operating lever has rotten away at the bottom. Everything 1” above the checker plate is good.
1942 VEP GPW

brit plumber

Re: Cab floor pan
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 05:15:46 AM »
I’ve pulled some parts of the floor out now. The one bolt left holding it all in place came out without issue. I’m amazed that despite the hideous corrosion, those bolts that remain have come out without issue. I’ve had to chisel of a couple of nuts that were so corroded there was little left of them but the armour screws have been very good, almost a pleasure considering I expected to cut everyone of them out. I have to say the quality of material used on the bolts is much better than my 42 GPW. And talking of my GPW, it came with a non standard starter button that I kept (I rarely throw anything away) and it turns out it’s a halftrack starter so one less thing to buy, even ifs only a cheap part NOS.

Here is the louvre lever and what’s left of the floor mount.

1942 VEP GPW

8683jb

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 10:51:05 AM »
You're gonna have one heck of a "before & after" photo album. Thanks again for saving this half-track!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 01:59:35 PM by 8683jb »
'42 Autocar M2A1

MVPA member

coreyelliott

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 04:08:27 PM »
I agree on both counts!

Corey
1941 Autocar M2A1 (M2-13)

brit plumber

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 05:10:27 PM »
Thanks gents, it’s certainly worth saving. The down side is I either find replacement parts or find some drawings and make them. I’d like to try and save the louvre lever so could do with some dimensions of the length and position of the pivot hole. The bolt is so rotted I don’t even know if it’s a bolt, bolt with Bush or even a clevis pin and split pin. It’s all part of the fun though and I feel I’ve got quite a bit disassembled.
1942 VEP GPW

brit plumber

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 07:50:54 AM »
I’ve managed to find all the cab floor supports from a number of sources and I’ve been straightening, welding and generally making them more presentable. I looked in the parts list for the correct hardware to fit them and it states 1/4” round head machine screws. My original rotten floor and parts of the replacement had what look like Hex head screws, what’s correct? I’ve made an assumption that the hex head are replacements and are a much better idea.
1942 VEP GPW