Author Topic: Rear idler appears to bend inwards?  (Read 271 times)

brit plumber

Rear idler appears to bend inwards?
« on: September 11, 2020, 05:57:28 AM »
I was looking at my rear track idlers and at least the left one points in towards the frame. Does this mean the axle/pin is bent out of alignment? It looks like there’s an adjustable tie bar but I think this to support the idler rather than adjust it. If it’s bent, are they easy to obtain?

emptyhead

Re: Rear idler appears to bend inwards?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 04:50:22 AM »
Might not be bent but worn. Either the casting or the shaft might be worn. The left side on my track was flopping around so pulled the pivot shaft out of the frame and had it welded and ground then the casting bored out. Good luck. Those pivot shafts in the frame are a bitch to get out.

Cleprechaun

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 03:45:40 PM »
I had that same issue. It leads to rapid ware on the outer idler flange. You might be able to adjust some of it out but tightening that turnbuckle. I had to take apart the turnbuckle, cut a tad off the threads then put it back in and tighten the hell out of it. I also had to put a thick backing plate inside the frame where it bolts to the frame. This is because you can tighten it so much that the frame rail will bulge out if there is no plate. Doing all this got mine straighter, but not perfect. You can also try replacing or swapping around the sockets that are inside the frame. I did that too.

brit plumber

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 02:02:57 AM »
Thanks Gents, this is one of the parts I’m trying to remove from the frame and she’s proving stubborn. One thing I have on my side is time so I’ll be soaking in penetrating oil on a regular basis and will likely try and add some heat too.

Cleprechaun

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 01:31:40 AM »
I pushed the shaft out by laying a bottle jack on its side in the frame, and then tapping the idler back and forth. I just cut the bolts off

brit plumber

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 10:51:35 AM »
Thanks, I’ve been reading a lot of similar posts and getting a feeling of what’s required. Next time I can get to the track I’ll take a photo of how bad it is. I fear I may need to replace the whole assembly.