Author Topic: Speedometer shaft removal  (Read 401 times)

SpencerB

Speedometer shaft removal
« on: October 26, 2020, 04:21:04 PM »
Working on restoring my speedometer.  Having an issue with the “shaft” that comes out the rear of case.  Any suggestions on how to remove it?

Having issues uploading a picture.....manual just calls it shaft.  4.5 inches long....may have something to do with the trip odometer.

Thanks

brit plumber

Re: Speedometer shaft removal
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 05:15:40 PM »
As you said, thats the trip reset knob?

You may have this illustration but if not it may be of use.
1942 VEP GPW

SpencerB

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 05:42:19 PM »
Had the picture....a ton of very specific removal instructions for everything BUT the shaft!  I finally was able to work the spring and washers off the back and slid the whole thing out the front.  Not sure if this is the “correct “ way to do it, but it seems to have worked.

Thanks for the input.

mkoloc

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 07:25:05 AM »
Unless you've rebuilt these before, take lots of pictures while testing it down.  These are like watches in some respects as they have a very fine and easily damaged "Hair Spring" a device that ads resistance to the magnet and creates the speed indicator for the needle.  Use a good synthetic click oil to lubricate the gears ..to get it to work properly it will need to be torn down completely so that all the gear pivots and the holes they sit in can be cleaned before reassembly.
Mark A.R. Koloc Sr.
LTC USA (RET)
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH  45103
Cell:  715-821-9426

SpencerB

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 07:58:06 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I am going VERY slowly here!  I read another post on rebuilding a speedometer and I am using the same oil/lube your recommended to him.  So far, so good.

Spencer