Author Topic: Leaf spring installation  (Read 194 times)

brit plumber

Leaf spring installation
« on: December 31, 2020, 05:25:26 PM »
I've got an axle to fit to the M16 that came off my M3, the M16 has the later leaf springs and brackets# and the M3 has the early Springs and brackets. I've left the springs on their appropriate frames however I don't know if the later springs need a shim between them and the axle like the early version. I have a single top saddle thingy (not sure what it's called) from the late springs  and the 2 top saddle things from the early springs.

So, do I need to find 2 shims as well as another saddle thingy?

Also, were all the front axles the same for Whites, Autocar and Diamond T? I'm assuming they were a spicer unit shipped to each plant so identical.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 05:27:41 PM by brit plumber »
1942 VEP GPW

steve1973

Re: Leaf spring installation
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 06:05:58 PM »
The axles on all White, Autocar and Diamond-T halftracks should be the same. You should have the wedge between the axle and springs. The wedge helps set the caster angle for steering. Here is a photo from TM 9-710.

Hope this helps.

Steve A.

brit plumber

Re: Leaf spring installation
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 03:46:28 AM »
Thanks for that, I actually have that manual but didn’t see that picture. So it would appear the wedge is the same part for both the old and new style springs. I’ll need to find the 2 shim/wedges.

As an additional question, if a part carries a G147 part number, does it imply it started life as a Int Harv part that has been fitted to a G102? The G102 parts manual shows lots of parts being superseded by G147 parts, the spring pack and hangars being one of them.
1942 VEP GPW