Author Topic: Halftracks in your area  (Read 6005 times)

Dinadin

• Schafer's Folly
Halftracks in your area
« on: June 25, 2011, 05:11:38 PM »
My friend, Bigbadwolf, and I were talking about the halftracks that we know of in the St. Louis area.  There are about 15 halftracks in various states of restoration within a 50 mile radius.  We started to wonder if St. Louis is a halftrack hub or if this was a common distribution of them.  So how many halftracks do you know of in your area?
Rich

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

Schafer's Folly - Halftrack Restoration

steve-0

• Administrator
Re: Halftracks in your area
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 07:23:49 PM »
i have 25 halftracks and know where another 20 are within 50 miles. there was a base north of reno nevada that most of the halftracks around here came from.
the 25 i have includes a couple that are just frames.

Dinadin

• Schafer's Folly
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »
You know when I started this thread I thought about saying you don't count.  hehe  ;D
Rich

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

steve-0

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:03:21 PM »
 ;D
one good thing about collecting halftracks is that people remember seeing them. thats not the case cckw's jeeps ect. i have tracked down halftracks that people had seen years ago.

i didnt know there where that many near st louis. are they all in rough shape like i find around here?

Dinadin

• Schafer's Folly
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 06:31:30 AM »
Most are restorable, only two and currently parts vehicles that I can think of.  There are six or so that are at least parade ready.    Last April we heard of one for sale in area out by the highway, but we never went looking for it.  Then last week I heard about one at a local car show and as far as I can figure it was none of the ones I know of. 

You are right halftracks stand out to people and remember them even when they are stripped down. 
Rich

col.halftrack

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 07:17:51 AM »
I have six, only two currently run. I know of about eight others in the area. (central Kansas)
1941 White M2
1942 White M4A1 was M4
1942 Autocar M2A1
1942 Autocar M3-75
1943 White M13 rebuilt as M16
1943 Diamond T M3A1

Outsider

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 09:54:08 AM »
There are 9 that I know of in lower michigan including mine. 4 are runners, 3 are in restoration, 1 is a parts vehicle, and 1 is in bad shape, but the owner won't sell.
Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!