Author Topic: repairing old tracks  (Read 3989 times)

steve-0

• Administrator
repairing old tracks
« on: October 26, 2010, 07:11:01 AM »
repairing old tracks is not recommended here. there are stories of people running there old tracks without track armor and being impaled by the steering column when a track has broken, hitting them in the back. even if you have your track armor there is still a potential danger especially if you run them fast.
that being said there is a way to repair them for use as a display or very low speeds. mostly i have seen this done on the farm halftracks.  
take a chain and weld the links to the outer edge of the bars of your tracks both inside and outside. make sure the bar spacing stays even through the brake and there is no slack in the chain.
again these old tracks can be dangerous and this is not recommended.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:27:52 AM by steve-0 »

michael keller

Re: repairing old tracks
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 12:09:27 PM »
Don't forget that there is an ongoing effort underway to save the last set of track molds in the world.  Even if saved, it's hard to imagine tracks cheaper than are currently available from the two suppliers I am familiar with.

steve-0

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:27:07 AM »
here are some pics of one i found with the repair

andy

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:35:26 AM »
Thanks for the tip. i snapped a track while moving the m2 and remembered this. just welded chain where it broke and it worked! Only need to have the track last as long as the resto is goin on
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:19:58 AM by andy »
1943 M4A1 (restored to M2A1)

supertrack

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:24:36 PM »
i never see that before !  it's interesting when the track fail

Monkeypirate

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 03:33:05 AM »
 Looks like it works fine unless you cant weld.  Having a chunk of 3/8" :D chain flying around at 40MPH could do a bit of damage.