Author Topic: Blackout light restoration  (Read 3967 times)

Tapper02

Blackout light restoration
« on: August 11, 2012, 06:54:01 PM »
Posted this on the G as well:

I picked up a couple of blackout lights from a vendor at Tower Park.  Took me a while but I finally got around to restoring them for my halftrack.  I sandblasted the paint/rust off of the cast metal housing base.  For the main beam and marker housings, I hand sanded these down to bare metal where there was rust and just scuffed the paint in the other areas to get good adhesion.  A few coats of red oxide primer followed by a few coats of Gillespie #33070 WWII Lusterless OD and voila.  I masked off all but the face of the main beam and painted it and the underside of the hood flat black.  To keep from painting the headlight behind the filter, I slipped in a few thin strips of paper and removed them with tweezers after painting...worked like a charm.  Then it was on to restamping the markings...
For the markings, I took pics and measurements before starting the project.  I sent them to a friend who made me some new stamps.  The closest match for the yellow paint I could find was a 1/4 fl. oz. bottle of Testors #1184 Zinc Chromate...and it is nearly perfect!  Here are some pics:

Back side of light assembly before restoration:

Back side of light assembly after restoration:

Close up of "LEFT" stamp before:

Close up of "LEFT" stamp after:

24-V stamp before:

12-V stamp after (decided to mark it 12-V and replace the bulbs since my electrical system is 12-V):

"BLACKOUT LIGHT" stamp before:

"BLACKOUT LIGHT" stamp after:

Hope this helps anyone who's thinking of doing this!

-Tom
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 07:38:27 PM by Tapper02 »
1944 Autocar M15A1 (M16A1) Halftrack
  (Being restored to an M3A1 configuration)
  Serial Number M-15 A 1, 1356
  Model M-16 A 1, Ord Serial Number 1106
1944 Schelm Bros. M10 Ammunition Trailer
  Serial Number 16959
MVPA # 30507

steve-0

• Administrator
Re: Blackout light restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:05:46 AM »
looking good.
i haven't tried it yet but i think you can convert those to regular headlights by removing the cover, replacing the headlight and relocating the base contact to the 12v spot.