Author Topic: aftermarket carbs  (Read 2443 times)

beerman

aftermarket carbs
« on: May 18, 2013, 08:55:49 PM »

Has anyone seen a halftrack engine with a different carb than the stromberg aav2 ? If so what kind was it. Just looking for different options.

Torque

Re: aftermarket carbs
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 06:48:58 PM »
The small 2GC 2 barrel off a Chevy 307 or similar size GM engine will bolt right on, the linkage will need modified a little and you will need the 3" spacer between the carb and air cleaner to get the air horn to line up, they came on pickups I think. I stuck one on my halftrack but don't have a fuel pump yet so only ran it a few seconds on the fuel in the carb. Have not checked in to what it needs to make the choke work, maybe just a manual cable kit.

beerman

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:45:37 AM »
  Thanks, For the information. The stromberg stuff on ebay, has alot of the later style carbs, which have climate control cokes and some sort of other backet on the base, which might be in the way. There was one that was the same as the halftrack model we have, but I got out bid at the last minute, stupid cell phone did not update fast enough. I was thinking of using a Carter WCD carb which it looks similar to the stromberg. The 2GC carb that is mentioned is a more modern style, and cheaper, might have to try that, as the Carter WCD is from the 40s and 50s era vehicles too.

I am just thinking about using a different carb due to the parts and expense of the stromberg model. If I can piece together enough parts to fix my stromberg then I will use it, if not then the others will be tried.Might try them both to just see how is runs, when I get there.

If you get a chance can you post a picture of the carb on your engine.

Thanks, Jeff
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:07:51 AM by beerman »

Torque

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 04:11:50 PM »
Chevy 2GC picture, will need air cleaner spacer shortened to make air horn line up.

Barry

beerman

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 04:35:25 PM »
  Thanks, I will look into getting one to try.

WayOffTrack

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 02:47:52 PM »
Found a halftrack today with a Carter WGD carb on it.

steve1973

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 05:11:24 PM »
If you keep an eye on eBay the correct carbs do pop up often. Also, the place in France jeep-dodge-gmc.com has them. I've bought quite a bit from them lately.
Steve A.