Author Topic: halftrack vintage photos  (Read 2439 times)

woodwalker

halftrack vintage photos
« on: May 15, 2015, 09:51:06 PM »
Was discussing with a friend about period photos and was wondering if anyone has seen there halftrack in a photo while in service?

47lincsled

Re: halftrack vintage photos
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:50:50 PM »
 Not in service but just after it was bought by the family that bought it from the government and that I bought it from, they have some 8MM film of it,I've been told I will be able to get a copy but so far I haven't, but I have been told that the family bought it from a military base in Colorado in the early 50's, so every time I see a program or read an article about the Colorado training bases I make sure I stop and look at any half-track I see, I'm hoping some day I might see an M-2 with my hood numbers! I would have to think that half-tracks used in the US will probably have a better chance then those sent overseas,all we had to fend off was bubba with a torch!

steve-0

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 11:08:21 PM »
i have also thought about that.

when halftracks where converted to m2a1 did they bring back any m2's from Europe?
seems like they would have a lot of empty ships heading back so it wouldn't take much.

there is the data base on the g503 of halftrack numbers from collectors.
if someone spent the time with google searches of war time pictures i wonder if we would have any matches.

47lincsled

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 11:15:33 PM »
 Because of the agreement with the BIG 3 none of the equipment that left our shores could return for 50 years, I would guess that all the rebuilt half-tracks were used here in the country for training, which would explain why they needed rebuilding, also as the war continued they learned what worked and what didn't, from the thousands of pictures I have looked at I pretty sure that they rebuilt stuff over there, modifying as they learned what worked in the field.

woodwalker

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 07:07:10 AM »
I am in agreement on the m2 but I would think more m3 made it back as they went thru several rebuilds and stayed in service longer.
 I think if you have an early vehicle you might see it in a photo of training or movement
But as us forces were deployed the cameraman went with them and the vast majority of pictures and film were in theater, leaving most of the vehicles stateside unfilmed.
 I was hoping to see someone come up with a bunch of photos from training that may show mine.
I have my original hood number and always look for it .
 The closest I have seen is a couple hundred higher on Okinawa.
Then way higher in England being loaded for the invasion.

Bob More than likely in came out of the pueblo ordnance depo. They shipped lots of m2 there for storage and rebuild maybe that's what the nearby bases used for training. All the m3 seem to be east
I have found one m3 in my raiding around here.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 07:15:17 AM by woodwalker »