Author Topic: electric pump yes or no?  (Read 7174 times)

andy

electric pump yes or no?
« on: March 13, 2014, 07:13:04 PM »
Anyone using an electric fuel pump? Im going to start new lines and wondering if its worth using an electric with the factory pump or not using factory pump but just electric. I assume using electric you would be pressure regulator?

Andy
1943 M4A1 (restored to M2A1)

spec4don

Re: electric pump yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 11:06:19 PM »
Check with Steve 1973, he's running a electric pump on his.

Don G.
1941 M2A1 not restored
1942 M3 Diamond T Mostly restored
1943 M3A1 Under restoration
1967 M51A2 Tractor
1945 WC 63 needs restoration
1967 M36 Long wheel base duece
1951 M135 GMC Fire truck conversion

steve-0

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 11:53:28 PM »
i run the electric pumps.
they work great.
use the low pressure pumps, around 2 psi
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:14:27 AM by steve-0 »

andy

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 07:02:31 AM »
Hey Steve, you use electric pump with the factory pump or separate? That was another question, what psi should be set, so 2 psi only?

Andy
i run the electric pumps.
they work great.
use the low pressure pumps, around 2 psi

HenryVIII

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:15:40 AM »
I also use an electric pump. I believe it is 3 psi. I do not go through the mechanical pump, just bypass it, then through a small in line filter and to the carb. I ran the power wire to the ignition switch. It works great so far. If the pressure is too high I believe you can push past the needle valve and cause flooding. I got mine at Napa for about 30 bucks.  Henry

steve1973

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »
Andy,
I run an electric fuel pump and works great. You do not want to run it through an existing fuel pump. I also have a spin on fuel filter/water separator just in case I ever have to run ethanol fuels. Bad stuff their.  If you want to use your vacuum wiper motors then I recommend using an original fuel pump and having it rebuilt by Then and Now. It works just fine as long as the fuel selector valve is open, right Don. ;D  If you use a fuel regulator get a good one. the chrome cheepies you see for $30 or less tend to break or leak and cause fires. I do not use a regulator. Also, make sure you carburetor is in good working order. If it needs rebuilt Then and Now can do it. One last note if you run an electric fuel pump. If you decide to remove the mechanical fuel pump and make a block off plate to cover the opening make sure you leave the push rod in place as it blocks off an oil passageway. You will loose oil pressure otherwise. Here are some photos of my fuel pump set up.

Hope this helps.

Steve A.

andy

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 05:11:35 PM »
Thanks guys. I have an unfired french engine, since its been stored for so long, and im hooking up every thing now, i thought of going electric instead of trusting the 60 year old new stuff. I haven't done the fuel lines yet so now would be the time to do it

Andy

andy

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 09:43:34 AM »
Steve do you know the part number of your pump?
Up till today my pump didnt leak but i guess all those years in storage shrunk gaskets finally didnt like fuel and I still havnt made proper fuel lines so im more leaning to electric

Andy

Andy,
I run an electric fuel pump and works great. You do not want to run it through an existing fuel pump. I also have a spin on fuel filter/water separator just in case I ever have to run ethanol fuels. Bad stuff their.  If you want to use your vacuum wiper motors then I recommend using an original fuel pump and having it rebuilt by Then and Now. It works just fine as long as the fuel selector valve is open, right Don. ;D  If you use a fuel regulator get a good one. the chrome cheepies you see for $30 or less tend to break or leak and cause fires. I do not use a regulator. Also, make sure you carburetor is in good working order. If it needs rebuilt Then and Now can do it. One last note if you run an electric fuel pump. If you decide to remove the mechanical fuel pump and make a block off plate to cover the opening make sure you leave the push rod in place as it blocks off an oil passageway. You will loose oil pressure otherwise. Here are some photos of my fuel pump set up.

Hope this helps.

Steve A.

steve1973

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 03:08:19 AM »
Andy,
I'm going out on a limb and guessing. The pump I have is a Facet universal electric fuel pump from NAPA. The part number is BK 6101052. Facet part number is 40104. Facet's web site is http://www.facet-purolator.com/cube-fuel-pumps.php. The specs are 25 gph(gallons per hour) at 1.5-4 psi. I think this is what I have. The lable on mine is facing up so I will need to remove some floor plates to get to it but I'm sure this is the one. They run about $60 at NAPA. Hope this helps.

Steve A.

andy

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 06:08:24 AM »
Thanks Steve,
Finally got the tm9 1711 manual for engine. It states normal pressure at fuel pump outlet at 2.5 to 4 psi so your right on. Any issues with flooding etc? Do you have a fuse installed in wiring?

Andy
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:13:51 AM by andy »