Author Topic: M-2 side door pins  (Read 2549 times)

47lincsled

M-2 side door pins
« on: March 27, 2014, 11:26:01 PM »
 It seems like getting info now days is getting harder to do, so when I needed to make the pins for my side door latches I dug through my books and found a good picture of the pin, used the background to get dimensions, I used some old leaf spring u-bolts for the stock,I heated up the ends and smashed them down to make the flats on the top end, then took them to a big grinder and spent a couple hours turning them down,I used one of the big pins to gauge just how far to turn them down,I could see in the pictures how far the extended through, if I would have thought ahead I would have smashed down the ends after tapering them, then I could chuck them up in a lathe, or chuck them in a drill press and use a hand grinder to taper them, the chain I spent three hours digging through all the stuff on my place, my mother in laws place and the homestead behind me looking for just the right piece of chain, I knew I had seen it some wheres but couldn't remember where, finally I remembered I had used it for a bike lock on my daughter bike, since she doesn't ride into town that often I figured she would never miss it, I'm going to repaint the whole vehicle as soon as it stops freezing at night so I'm trying to finish little details that I have put off for many years.

ida34

Re: M-2 side door pins
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 07:14:20 PM »
I have one and was going to make some in the same fashion to till out my needs. Yours look great. I was going to use bar stock and turn down the taper on the lathe then heat and pound the ends.

Chuck

woodwalker

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 08:17:28 PM »
I have a couple of originals and they were tapered on a grinder down what of a rough finish.
Looking good Bob!

47lincsled

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 10:03:33 PM »
 When I was looking through all my books for pictures I noticed that no two of the pins sat the same distance down in the door pins,I have never seen an original one but I would bet they weren't a fancy machined piece, and once they have a nice OD paint on them you can't tell anyhow!

yd328

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 05:59:34 AM »
Nice work, now all they need is a little patena on them and they'll be perfect ;D.

Gary

Tapper02

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 10:15:42 PM »
Great work!  They should fit the bill nicely.  Post up a pic once you get them installed!

-Tom
1944 AUTOCAR M15A1 (M16A1) HALF-TRACK:
(Being restored to an M3A1 configuration)
SERIAL NUMBER M-15 A 1, 1356
MODEL M-16 A 1, ORD. SERIAL NUMBER 1106

MVPA # 30507

47lincsled

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 04:55:31 PM »
 They have had a year to weather, I got them in last spring, just never updated this post!

steve-0

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 07:35:48 PM »
nice job.
the originals i have seen look like they where hammered out or something.

i wonder if something like this would work.
http://www.zoro.com/g/Low%20Carbon%20Steel%20Taper%20Pins%20%232/00096455/