Author Topic: Anyone ever mill out their axle flanges?  (Read 4063 times)

Tranham

Anyone ever mill out their axle flanges?
« on: February 05, 2017, 07:35:52 PM »
On the front axle to help with speed, noise and power? I did it on my WC52 and it helped.

Robert

FrankUSMC

Re: Anyone ever mill out their axle flanges?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 08:50:13 PM »
Robert
Same here, done it with the dodges but that was it.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Monkeypirate

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:38:14 PM »
This is kind of a old thread but i just ran across it and was wondering what it is you mill out and how it affects your power and sound levels? Just curious.

Outsider

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 07:37:38 AM »
You mill out the splines on the inside of the hub so the front tires free wheel and don't turn the differential and drive shaft on the front axle.

Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

beerman

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 11:29:52 AM »
The only issues I see with milling the splines is, the hub now rubbing on the splines on the axles. Going from memory, the axle is pulled into the with a nut, as the hub and splines have a taper. It would be great to be able to machine, and add some sort of bearing, to tighten the axle so it stays centered in the hub, but free wheel, with the bearing. Also if someone could adapt or come up with a set of locking hubs, would be the idea way to go. As my front axle has some pitting in the ring and pinion, and the less wear the better for me , just my opinion on the topic

Monkeypirate

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 07:32:11 PM »
Now i get it. I would think it would work if you just made a custom plate to fit a tapper bearing into. then just swap it with the spline flange when you need front drive. Making or adapting a locker is a interesting idea.