Author Topic: Idler shafts  (Read 2271 times)

Tuur

Idler shafts
« on: April 21, 2020, 10:22:48 AM »
Did anyone very get the idler shaft out of the frame?
Can’t get it loose. Had lots of heat on it.

Tuur

Re: Idler shafts
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 10:23:22 AM »

yd328

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 01:24:21 PM »
I had to use heat and put a bottle jack in between the two shafts. I heated the housing and pushed it out with the jack.

Gary

Outsider

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 06:31:16 AM »
The lands on the shaft have a slight taper to them. Each land is an inch wide or so is all. They land in the casting right by the outer casting and just inside the threaded area. So concentrate your heat in those two areas and then like was mentioned above put a bottle jack or porta power in between the shafts and push while you are heating. Also bolt the casting back into the frame to stabilize it while you are pushing it out. Once it starts moving it gets easier fast.

PM me your email and I will send a picture of a shaft that is out of the housing so you can see what I am talking about.

Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

Tuur

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 08:11:26 AM »
Hey guys thanks for the help! They just came flying out when i put the bottle jack in between them.
The pictures i have are to big to upload sadly.

brit plumber

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 12:51:44 PM »
A few months late but could I see a photo of the idler post out of the frame? This is my next step.
1942 VEP GPW

Tuur

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 06:29:38 AM »
A few months late but could I see a photo of the idler post out of the frame? This is my next step.

i can send you some pictures by email or facebook or so

brit plumber

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 12:40:00 PM »
That would be great, my email

m3bobby (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thanks.
1942 VEP GPW

Cleprechaun

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 01:07:26 AM »
I used a 30 ton bottle jack as others have suggested. I heated it up and found ways to twist it. POP!

brit plumber

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 02:07:29 AM »
Mine came out after a little patience. The first pushed out with a 20 Ton Jack, second would not budge so had the Jack under full pressure until it was solid. I then heated the trunnions and it still wouldn’t budge. I gave up and left it all under pressure, went to do something else and 10 minutes later with a massive bang, lots of flying rust and debris, it popped out about 3/4”. I actually thought my Jack had exploded until I noticed the gap, the entire frame shuck and I had the fright of my life.
1942 VEP GPW