Author Topic: Intake and exhaust manifold  (Read 3569 times)

emptyhead

Intake and exhaust manifold
« on: March 10, 2013, 06:45:26 AM »
Hi guys yet another question. Am starting to Bolt on stuff to my engine and ran into a problem with getting the intake and exhaust manifolds together. They go together 3/4 of the way and lock up solid. Can't see where they are binding, no room at all to slip gasket in between bottom of the intake and top of the exhaust. Have any of you had problems like this.they are both nos and have never been fitted before. Spent a good deal of time  cleaning preservative off of them so parts are squeaky clean.. Thanks

Outsider

Re: Intake and exhaust manifold
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 08:31:42 PM »
They are a tight fit, but this is how I do it.

1) Take a file and make sure there are no burrs or raised areas on the 2 mating surfaces.

2) Set the intake manifold engine mounting face down on a work bench.

3) Slide the main section of the exhaust manifold down over the intake manifold.

4) At this point you should be able to carefully wiggle the gasket in between the 2 manifolds.

5) Install the 4 bolts that hold them together LOOSELY, as the manifolds will need to be able to wiggle until the bolts that mount the manifolds onto the block are tight. After the mounting bolts are tight you can finish tightening the 4 mating bolts.

Hope that helps,

Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

emptyhead

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 02:37:41 PM »
Thank you outsider. Must have been a Friday part because after 4 hours of filing the two will barely fit with the gasket. Had to file in a lot of areas. Did a dry fit on the engine and will fit now. Thanks

Outsider

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 05:24:03 PM »
Glad to here you got it to work.

I think a lot of the NOS parts we are seeing now were reject parts that the government threw off on a shelf somewhere and were sold off as surplus. I have had trouble with several NOS parts now that were clearly not up to spec. Like the exhaust manifold heat riser valve that I have here at my shop that the shaft is about 3/16" too short to assemble it properly.

Steve
Lots of green "junk" as my wife likes to call it.
Friends don't let friends buy Trailking Trailers!

Tuur

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 11:17:03 AM »
Same problem here with nos  ???